GUN weak hand shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jago, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

anyone practice on a regular basis?

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I usually take a few weak handed shots, but I don't practice them on a regular basis.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i do about 3 to 1.

i have no trouble using my left hand anymore, but the right is still obviously more comfortable.

4. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I have trouble shooting with my weak hand (left) since I am right eye dominant. That and I cant seem to grip properly either. But then again, I dont practice enough with it like I should.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Although, i always try to focus with the left eye, i find when i'm stressfiring that i tend to cant the gun to the right so i can sight with my right eye. It takes a massive amount of training to be able to use either eye naturally.

6. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

Hm, I just noticed that I do the same with the cant to the right. I think I'll go pick up an :airsoft: to practice so I can at least get a better feel of it. That way, I'm not shooting other people's targets when I'm trying to shoot off hand at the range...

Question:

1. When firing with your weak hand, do any of you use both hands or just one?
    2. Do you fire with both eyes open or just one?

7. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I am left handed, but shoot right handed mostly.
    I shoot pistols well with both hands and for some reason a left side draw works better for me with CCW.

I would practice dry firing with your weak hand for a while and then try it out live. (Some people's weak hand is almost useless for shooting the first few times.)

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i, too, am left handed, but i shoot right handed. i used to not do that. i was on a marksmanship team for two years, and shot lefty then. when i got my AR, i started shooting righty, because all the stuff is oriented right handed. but, i've maintained my left handed shooting skills. i try to do half and half, but it's probably closer to 2 or 3 to 1. i'm left eye dominant, and end up bringing pistols over to my left eye when shooting righty. i like shooting my AR righty, because i can focuse with both eyes. one on the front sight post, and one on the surroundings.