Weak Chest

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Snowed, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I've been lifting pretty consistently for the past 7 months. The first 3 and a half were a program I found online with mostly isolation exercises. The next 3 and a half I started doing starting strength (though not properly.) I wouldn't do deadlifts or powercleans/rows due to back problems, trouble arching my back, and nobody to critique my form.

I've been benching consistently the whole time and haven't seen as much progress as I would like. I also started off very weak compared to everyone I know.

Here are my numbers:
    Bench (7 months ago)
    65 - 4x10
    Bench (Now)
    115 - 3x5

I can barely do a rep or two of 135 :ugh:

My other lifts seem better. I started squatting 3 and a half months ago at 135 3x5 and am now up to 185 3x5. OHP is 85 3x5.

I just started deadlifts last week and my form is complete shit. :o I'm doing 115 3x5 just to go easy on my back/work on my form. My back keeps rounding on the way down. I'm planning on starting power cleans too, but don't have a coach so I guess I'll do the same and take it light to start out.

SO, any ideas on how to improve my bench? I work just as hard as all my other lifts but don't see the same progress. Am I genetically fucked or is there something I can do?

2. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

5/3/1 by jim humongous cock wendler

and lots of food

3. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Bench 115x3x5
    OHP 85x3x5
    Squat 185x3x5
    Deadlift 115x3x5

I would say your DL should/could be better.
    Keep eating and lifting hard.

4. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

there are tons of good programs out there, 5/3/1 is a good example and works for all your other lifts as well.

Don't just go to the gym and lift whatever, pick a program and follow it. Record everything and track your progress.

And pick up a damn fork

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

I hear you man. My chest was probably my weakest when first starting. I started training in febuary and could only do a few reps at 65. hit 135x8 for the first time in november - 9 months after training.

Shit takes time. Eat, and keep at it. 5/3/1 has added a good 15-20lbs on my max bench in 3 months - coupled with solid eating. It really helps because you've got a roadmap to how to get to bigger lifts, not just going to the gym lifting big and hoping for the best.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Building a good bench takes time. Other movements like squats and deads use a lot more of a full body movement and thus tend to increase quicker.

Bench focuses on (if you do it right) your chest, lats, upper back, shoulders, and triceps. Engaging all of those muscles correctly for a powerful bench takes time... You'll get it.
    When I first started working out my bench didn't do much increasing over the first year... went up by maybe 50lbs. After about a year though I got used to handling heavier weight and engaging more muscles to help out and my bench started shooting up like crazy.

Just give it time, eat a lot of food, and don't be afraid to lift heavy and push your limits (with a good spotter of course).

As some others recommended, the 5/3/1 program is great for building strength in your compound movements.

7. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I've been eating a lot the past ~4 months, so much so I've got a little gut now. I wasn't really eating right though, just a lot of whatever shitty foods. That's been slowly changing for the better.

So I should ditch rippetoe's starting strength and move to 5/3/1?

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

5/3/1 can adapted to a beginner or a novice. It's based on your starting strength when entering the program.

Clean up the diet. A dirty bulk won't get you anywhere except sloppy. Eat a lot, but eat clean. Use the sticky at the top of the page by No Quarter, but double all fat sources, and triple carb sources.

9. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

How often do you do chest? What is your routine?

10. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

Starting strength is good but I like the 5/3/1 better because it works off percentages of your 1rm and gives you a more specific guideline. I don't like how in starting strength you use the same weight for every working set.

11. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I've taken a few breaks when I couldn't make it to the gym, not too often though.

I work out mon/wed/fri and take 1 scoop of ON whey before and 1 scoop after. I also take a multi vitamin every day and 1000mg fish oil.

My workout schedule is based on workout A and workout B, but I get sloppy with it. I switch off, A mon, B wed, A fri, then the next week B mon, A wed, B fri.

A:
    Squats
    Bench
    Deadlift (I used to skip this one a lot, not anymore.)

B.
    Squats
    OHP
    T-bar rows
    Sometimes bench again

Then I'll do one or two isolation exercises at the end of each workout such as curls, dips, skullcrushes, abs, etc....

edit: Oh, and it's hard for me to follow diets I see online such as the stickied one because I eat in the dorm dining hall. There aren't any eggwhites, regular tuna, plain chicken breast, etc.... I'm starting to figure out how to make it work though.

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Once a week.
    Though, if I ever feel my chest is lagging, I'll throw in some incline movements with my shoulder day.

Last weeks chest routine looked like:

Decline BB
    - 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 10, 315 x 5,

Flat DB
    - 50's x 12, 80's x 12, 120's x 8

Incline BB
    - 135 x 10, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 6

Cable flies
    - Just 3 sets of 12 with whatever random weight

Dips
    - 2 sets of 20

If you're a beginner that will be too much volume, but you get the idea.
    The higher volume of this routine might not be conducive to you building strength though. This was a moderate weight day for me, but if I was focused on strength I'd go higher in weight keep reps between 5-7.

13. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

:ugh2:

14. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

look at his numbers, shit look at your numbers... you're both either 12 years old or seriously need to learn how to eat more food

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

How much do you weigh? you need to start eating a ton more. lots of red meat

:ugh:

aren't you some scrawny ass runner? stop giving advice on eating to build muslce mass.

16. devman

devman New Member

they problem isnt that your bench is weak, all your numbers are weak, just focus on getting stronger overall and adding muscle and your bench will go up

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

faceman you're an idiot

dtr rex your routine sucks for a beginner, as you know. even otherwise, not a fan. may explain why ever since youve been posting here (years) your lifts have been basically the same, no?

fuck me sideways, you dont need advice on how to get stronger when you bench like 135x2. just lift and eat more food.

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

No shit it's sucks for a beginner, I mentioned that in my post, lol. Dude asked me for my routine, so I gave it to him.

My lack of strength progression I would imagine has little to do with my routine and more-so to do with inconsistency in the gym and my eating. I got stuck in the fucking Jmezz trap of getting scared of being fat once I get a few months into a bulk.... So I just cut down. And then start the same stupid cycle all over again.... essentially spinning my wheels. It sucks, but I since I was a fatty when I was real young I am afraid of pushing the envelope.

That is why I am shooting for sub-10% this spring; so I can bulk up and put on a good 20lbs+ and still be under 15% not have to worry about it.

Also, I don't train for strength and have not in a long time. I've put on a good amount of size in the back though in the last year.

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yeah but what im saying is you have literally been the same strength or less since i remember you posting here in 2004. that's 6 years of being the same roughly. might be time to evaluate what you're doing.

same thing for me. though my issue is ive been the same for like 8 months and it's kinda starting to drive me nuts.

strength will always be a by product of "training for size" and trying to separate the 2 really dont work IMO.

LETS GET BUCKWILD PIN TEST SUCK DICK EAT SHIT LIVE THE DREAM

20. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

No doubt man. But you need to consider the body weight too. Back then I was bouncing between 220-230, now, even though I am the same in strength, I am 20lbs lighter.
    I'm really not much stronger at 24 than I was at 20, but I am lighter.
    Though, I look about 10 X better. When I was 20 I was "solid" but had no abs, and minimal vascularity. At the same strength I now have a 6 pack and veins everywhere.

Don't get me wrong though, I see what you're saying. Even considering the weight loss, I should still be stronger considering the time-frame. I've just been a lazy ass with consistency and been too much of a pussy to really man-up and push the envelope with a bulk.
    And the injuries of my shoulder and back kinda scared me off going heavy.

I dunno. I need to run a 5/3/1 again and bulk up "for real" and get my numbers where they should be... but something always comes up. Excuses, excuses.

21. NUDES

NUDES New Member

yeah ive never had this happen before in like 6 years. i still lift and am about the same but have no desire to really push for anything. very weird feeling.

22. slim shady

slim shady Active Member

I learned deadlift with the kettleball.It teaches the hip drive.
    \Than moved on to barbell
    [y]zF5CGQmNxyI[/y]

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Seeing Dux's progress really inspired me to want to man-up and run a real bulk. Not my pussy, half-assed attempts where I bulk for 3 months, put on 15lbs, and get scared when I am diminished to a 4pack and then start cutting again :rolleyes:

24. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's how I've become. I have "desires" to get big, or get shredded, and really go balls to the wall... but when it comes down to it, I just lift for fun and eat how I feel. In the end, I still look pretty good and I am stronger than most gym rats, but the fact that I never make progress is fucking gay still.

25. NUDES

NUDES New Member

no LOL im not being sarcastic i just cant seem to get into it lately within the last 8 months. i dont train at a PL gym anymore. ive never given a shit about being lean, kinda hard to when you can get great looking women with a 1 pack, squatting and deadlifting sucks cock, etc

ive been eating like 160-200g of protein a day and getting shit faced every weekend, pretty funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.