GUN We definantly wont be seeing anymore SA ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 5, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/04/04/safrica.arms.reut/index.html

Report: S. Africa's arms agency illegally sold ammunition
    POSTED: 1315 GMT (2115 HKT), April 4, 2007
    Story Highlights
    • Report: Armscor sold hundreds of millions of surplus ammo rounds illegally
    • Government forbids sales; assault rifle ammo flooded U.S. market
    • AK-47, R-4 and R-5 rifle ammunition sold openly on Internet, report says
    • Report: Nation's reputation as leader in global anti-arms proliferation damaged

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- South Africa's state arms agency Armscor sold hundreds of millions of rounds of small arms ammunition into the open market in conflict with government policy, Business Day newspaper said on Wednesday.

The newspaper said a secret forensic report in 2005 showed Armscor had sold ammunition for AK-47, R-4 and R-5 rifles to Industrie Spreewerk Lubben in Germany "ostensibly for destruction and onward sale to companies in the U.S.".

"(This) has seen the U.S. market flooded with military and police surplus ammunition from South Africa. Apparently the ammunition is openly advertised on the Internet," the newspaper said, citing a copy of the report.

Armscor was not immediately available for comment.

The agency, formed as part of the secretive military apparatus of apartheid-ruled South Africa, vowed to become more transparent with the advent of multi-racial democracy in 1994.

Business Day said the ammunition sales could damage South Africa's reputation as a leader of global efforts to crack down on small arms proliferation.

"The report contains a litany of allegations over Armscor officials exporting ammunition on the basis of expired end-user certificates for Guyana," it said, adding that it also showed Armscor officials bypassing South Africa's National Conventional Arms Control Committee.

The newspaper said the November 2005 report by First Consulting also detailed a breach of national security in the export of Ratel infantry assault vehicles with top-secret codes and algorithms in place.

It said in all, there were eight exports of ammunition to Germany between 1998-2005 in contravention of a cabinet decision in 1997 that all surplus ammunition should be destroyed.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

What a shock corruption in S.A:noes: .

3. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I just bought some PMP .223 from my FFL last night so I am betting a big shipment made it in recently.

And I am betting more will come in. Should be pretty easy to bribe the export officials especially with how much .223 is going for these days.

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

try finding an R4.. its impossible. Ive seen only 1 for sale

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Seen a couple pop up for sale occasionally dont think many made it into the country due to our bans on there stuff due to apartheid. Wouldn't mind having one but galil would be cheaper and same thing. I'll get me a Galil or two one day :hs:

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've never particularly looked for military surplus ammo, but I see South African 5.56mm often enough to know that it's been available for some time on the internet, gun stores, etc. The authors of that report are living under rocks if they think they've uncovered enything particularly new. As to "flooding" the US market, they're experiencing delusions of grandeur - the likes of UMC and Winchester seem to dominate the market for new 5.56mm while Lake City and other domestic sources own the milsurp market.

Well, there's the goddamned tragedy in all of this. But I guess it's very important to the Europeans and their foggy notions of "soft power" and utopian visions of a world without conflict where everyone lives in some tolerant multicultural wonderland...

Because destroying surplus ammunition is more important than earning some revenue selling it? Last I checked, South Africa wasn't quite a first-world country with a modern economy. Perhaps greenbacks are worth more than nebulous social policy?

7. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Do they really want to cut down on it, or is the government just pissed that they weren't able to sell the ammo themselves and pocket the money?

Everyone knows what South Africa is a leader in, and it isnt "cracking down on small arms proliferation"

8. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I have friends in the SADF.. Lets say getting shit out isnt a problem. Several other friends of mine have collections of R1 rifles.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I could use some parts kits :x: If I were them I'd get the hell out of there or start planning a coup.. I hear there starting to redistribute farms ala Mugabe wont be long till everyones starving.