GUN we all worry about the feasiblity of leaving handguns in our car

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Dec 16, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

how many of you have one of those gunvaults in your car?

are there any small enough to mount in a midsize car's center console?

my thoughts are that I keep it locked but when i'm in the car have it unlocked and open in case i need ot access it. all you'd have to do is close the box when you get out of your car.

picture in case you've been living in a cave and don't know what i'm talking about:

[​IMG]

2. Have you seen the video where the guy shows how to open them by smacking the door with his finger?

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

obviously not.

is there a better solution? aside from taking it in and out of the car every time?

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

just saw it, there were ALOT of comments from people saying they tested and theirs didn't do it and i didn't see one (granted, i skimmed) that confirmed that theirs did..

5. I don't know. I'm trying to find the video. I think it might be in my browsing history at work. I'll look tomorrow. Basically the guy just smacks the safe door with his hand and it pops right open. I haven't had access to one to try it myself though.

6. What did you search to find it? I couldn't find it. I guess if you could test yours before you buy it you might be alright.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

[y]R8i3zVGQFKo[/y]

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I have a gift card to cabelas, i'll try to open the box to one and try it on a few and see if i can get it to work.

ibbruisedknuckles :o

9. Assuming it doesn't open when tapped, I'd say to install it in a place that's hard to get at the door with a screwdriver. It's certainly better than leaving something in the car with no protection.

10. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Yeah I just went upstairs and tried my dad's (same model) and it did not open. My knuckles hurt...

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:rofl: i was waiting for that. i think the video is either rigged or he has a broken box

12. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Thats why the gun I'm buying for my truck is gonna be under $200, besides if I get caught with it it's gonna be confiscated anyway.

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

I don't make a habit of leaving my firearm in the vehicle, but when I do I use one of these and loop the anchor cable through the seat mount hardware.

[​IMG]

14. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I just keep the keltec sub 2000 behind the rear seat in case of disasters

15. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

Best solution is to stick it somewhere it can be easily overlooked. Glovebox probably isn't a good place for it, for example.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Somewhere it can be easily overlooked and somewhere it can be easily accessed aren't really synonymous.

Keep in mind I don't keep mine in the glove compartment.

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'm more concerned of it getting into the wrong hands and being used to kill someone (that doesn't deserve it) than just it going missing.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

19. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

and if you're inside of the mall it takes you longer to get to your car than for them to grab what they can and haul ass.

20. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I don't have a good solution in my current car. I had an explorer before which had a huge center console. I ended up using 2 cable locks. One went down through a hole I drilled and wrapped around the steel mounting hardware for the center console and then the other wrapped through the loop of the first and then through the gun. It wasn't the most elegant, but it was secure.

Unfortunately now, both my employer and the site I work at prohibit firearms on their property which includes private vehicles. My employer goes as far as saying if you are on your way to work it is prohibited as well. So I err on the side of never keeping one in my car due to the fact that I like my job.

21. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I know. I believe in Kansas there was a ruling on that. I claim I don't online but reality is different.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i have a small 1 gun safe under my seat with a cable wrapping around the seat braces.

it's decently secure, if someone broke in with bolt cutters they could get it out obviously but most shit heads that are gonna break in are probably just gonna grab easy shit and leave, ya ain't getting mine out without some tools.

23. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

My dad keeps a .38 derringer in his suburban. On his model you can lift the cup holders out of the console to reveal a small space. He just keeps it in there. It takes about 2 seconds to get to and nobody would ever think of looking there.

You might try looking for panels in your car that are easy to remove. That would probably give you the benefits of both security and speed of access.

24. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

yeah I understand, but thats like worrying that someone will steal your car and run someone over with it. at a certain point you just have to accept that shit will happen.