WD Portable HD issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by copper rs, Mar 23, 2007.

1. copper rs

copper rs Google Earth Crew

I just purchased a 160gig Western Digital portable harddrive and it keeps causing power surges and wont work. I have an older (5 years or so) usb2.0 card in it and I am wondering if that could be causing the issue, but I want to make sure before I buy a new one. I tried plugging the HD into a DLink hub with an AC powersupply but it still causes the surges. Western Digital also sells a "power boost cable" but this seems like a stupid solution to the problem, but if it works I guess thats the best solution. See this link.

Has anyone on here had a problem with WD USB2.0 drives doing this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

USB2.0 supplies .5amps per port. If your drive requires more than that, then you either need an AC adaptor for the drive, or if it's a laptop-sized drive, then you need a special USB cable with a third plug that draws an extra .5amps from a second USB port. This is a fairly common solution for 2.5" portable drives nowadays, and it's a hell of a lot better than lugging around a power brick almost as big as the drive itself.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have an 80GB WD passport drive and use it on lots of computers without issues. How exactly does a USB hard drive cause a power surge? WTF does that mean? Are you using the short cable that came with the drive?

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've seen windows pop up a bubble in the tray saying that usb had a surge or power fluctuation. it does it on this one computer i have, when you plug something into the front usb, it will freeze the computer and pop up the bubble. it's only until you remove the device from the usb port, that it will unfreeze.
    it is a problem with the board, the connections are all correct and i tried a couple of other front case usb adapters

5. copper rs

copper rs Google Earth Crew

So buying a new USB2.0 card wont fix this? WD is sold out of these Double type-A to single mini-B cables and they seem to be the only company that makes one.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Vantec 2.5" hard drive cases all come with them. Mine works great.