Way to go SUN !!! v.greedybastards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry Caray, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

I'll just start off by saying my personal opinion is that i'm against the buyout of IBM & Sun... Hell, if SGI can make it on their own for this long.. Sun has a lot more going for them :rofl:

With Sun just laying off over 8000 people this year (last 3 months alone)... Schartz & McNealy (who has MORE THEN ENOUGH FUCKING MONEY) puts this in the contract....

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

With the way the economy is right now, people getting laid off left and right... to put that shit in there...:nono: :nono: :nono:

I say... let'em burn... :greddy: greedy ass bastards...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=afzguohJkPq0&refer=news

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Along with that, LSI bought 3ware

5. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

What would this mean for Java if IBM merged with Sun?

6. deusexaethera

Nothing, I suspect. Java is far too popular. The greater implications would be for Solaris, I think.

7. Harry Caray

The point of this thread was that SGI has made it since the early 80's... and made it through the tough times since the late 90's/2000's trying to reinvent themselves over and over again until now...

Sun however... Thanks to Schwartz has basically been able to run the company which was once an empire in just 4 short years ago (McNealy) into the ground... and blame...

1... the changing of the computing environment (read his weekly blogs)
    2... the economy, but yet IBM, Cisco, EMC, Pillar, etc are adapting and kicking ASS !!!
    3... laying off lots of employees because hey! "it's the in thing to do right now"
    4... make sure he & McNealy get BIG $$$'s at the end because hey! "it's the in thing to do right now"

5... ponytails don't fly in high-tech :rolleyes:

and yeah.. IBM is a BIG Linux shop.. they don't like Solaris :rofl:

8. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

We have a Solaris lab at my university. The keyboards on those machines are :weak:.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

according to the guys we talk to, the ibm sun buyout is a delibrate leak from Sun to continue their shopping of themselves. so far they've talked to cisco, hp, and oracle. they really really want to be bought by cisco, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

most of the people they laid off are sales, mid level managers, and storagetek people. something they should've done a loooong time ago anyway when they bought storagetek.

10. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

java is probably the only profitable product from sun.

sparc/cmt will die off. along with solaris sparc. Opensolaris MAY take its place, but that may die off as well if there is no community support.

no clue what will happen to zfs. may take off with bsd and linux, but will most likely die along with sparc solaris as did advfs with Tru64.

no need for x86 sun servers/blades. they are pretty much more expensive than any other x86 vendor during NON-matching-grant pricing. 9 months out of the year.

the storagetek tape may still stick around for ficon/mainframe folks.. or people who demand the throughput the t10k provides. the SL libraries are cool, but expensive.

The STK SAN's are crap. No-need to rebrand the HDS arrays again.

Only thing they can sell is Java. And their large customer base within .gov and .edu.

11. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

this is also what I heard. and the price probably not even close to what was leaked :mamoru:

12. Harry Caray

Pretty much, when it comes to big iron stuff now, IBM owns it along with EMC for storage.. but I'm sure whats his name will chime in here and tell us all the 'God' like qualities of ZFS...:rolleyes:

For me.. I blame this mostly on Schwartz... Sun had a good thing going.... :wtc:

And yes.. I do luv Sparc/RISC CPU's :love:

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I blame it on sales, marketing, and the advancement of competition.

Sales as so fat it was disgusting. when we bought stuff. FIVE other managers across the country would get part of the commission. FIVE people we've never seen or spoke with. Thankfully that entire group is gone, along with some local guys unfortunately.

Marketing or lack there of. No one really knows what Sun is doing or what they are trying to sell. They have pretty much everything and anything one can think of buying, but who knows what's out there. Is it any good? Is it better than the competitors? Pricing is retarded as well. Their fiscal Q4 makes a ton of money relative to the rest of the year since they slash prices to at least half, up 70-80%, when most experienced customers buy stuff. And they wonder why they don't sell Q1-3.

14. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I'd like Apple to buy Sun. They certainly have enough cash to do it and it would cement them as the number one UNIX vendor.

15. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

:rofl:

16. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Not ever going to happen in a million years.

17. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

When Sun was doing well and Apple was struggling, a lot of people were saying that Sun should buy Apple saying Apple's strength in desktops and Sun's strength in servers would complement each other. I don't know why the same argument couldn't be made now except now it's Apple that has the cash.

18. deusexaethera

Because the cultures of the two companies are way too different.

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I hate Sun. I hate Solaris as well. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that Solaris really has going for it is industry support. Aside from that, it is an extremely painful OS to deal with and it seems like that was purposefully built in.

20. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

agreed. I hate solaris; it is impossible to deal with from an end-user side..i do understand its reliability, etc. but i hate dealing with it. I use sun hardware with ubuntu...much easier/friendlier/makes me happy...and im talking about CLI only, no GUI involved.

21. danchen

danchen New Member

Sun also owns MySQL don't they ?
    I think if IBM gets their hand on MySQL, their database portfolio(DB2 + MySQL) will be damn strong, esp against MsSQL & Oracle...

22. Harry Caray

funny since I'm self employed, work at home.. do mostly video-editing and storage for the studios..

but also see this coming down full stream in the data centers since less & less have been buying Sun as of recently. Their only 2 strong points "unfortunately" now are JAVA & MySQL :wtc:

Servers & Storage got taken over a loooong time ago...

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what i don't like about sun is that they put so little focus on manageability. if you have hundreds (or thousands) of servers in a dynamic environment that requires audit compliance, it is such a huge pain in the nuts to do it. you have to go outside to all kinds of 3rd party tools for any sort of management.