Way to go GM! You DMF's....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by LT1-9C1, Dec 2, 2003.

1. LT1-9C1

LT1-9C1 Guest

Well appears Gm is doing the final blow to the Impala SS name plate, PUTTING IT ON the lastest Impala. What a crime putting that name on that pc of shit fwd POWER HOUSE, not!
    When will GM wake up. The only thing in a rwd v8 flavor bowtie is now over 30k!
    They need to wake up and put the Monte back to RWD, and give us the LS1 powered Caprice in from the middle east that is pushing over 300 HP and kick ass torque that goes with it!
    What do we get? The Wimpala, the Malaboo, PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Whats the big switch to FWD that all the car companies have been doing over the last few years? I prefer RWD over anything, watching one front tire spin is ghey. Seems like the only thing in RWD these days are trucks, SUVs and MAYBE the occasional large sedan. Now they are making FWD SUVs.

3. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Wow. Hostility or what? Chill out. Yes, the FWD Imp SS is indeed ghey, but its just a holdover until the V8, RWD redesign comes out in 2006 IIRC.

But yeah, GM has bastardized the SS nameplate.

4. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

:wtc:

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

FWD cars are cheaper and simpler to produce. The entire drivetrain can be installed as a single unit. Also with FWD, you don't have a trans tunnel, so there's more interior legroom.

6. uflathead

uflathead Guest

not to mention that it's more effecient which equals better gas mileage.

7. Possum Stomper

LIES!

:big grin:

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Acutaly it's more efficiant to push a car (rwd) than to pull it along (fwd). however when you have to spin the typical 20-30lbs steel driveshaft of a rwd car, you loose some power in that wieght. The solution of course is to make the driveshaft out of lighter materials, such as aluminum or even carbon fiber for the high doller rides.

do this experiment sometime, take a 5lbs wieght, and tie some string to it, and use a scale to measure the force it takes to pull it, until it just starts to move, and then do the same, only pushing it. You will see that it requires less force to push it than pull it.

9. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Honestly it's not a bad car, and it has a nicer interior than the last Impala SS, and it probably runs comparable times to it as well.

10. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

But RWD is more fun....

11. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

Those new SS' are already roaming the streets. I've seen several in the last few months, I usually give them a wave while they are checking out my 96. It's not the worst they could have done. At least they're fairly quick id say 14.9-15.2 range. There is a guy on the NAISSO forum running high 13s in his, FWI, 3.4, GMPP exhaust and I think DHP.

12. uflathead

uflathead Guest

I guess you forgot about the simple fact that in RWD you have to turn the power 90 degrees from input to output which is the biggest power-robber of all.:slap: With front wheel drive everything is parallel (crank, tranny, axles).

13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

DOH!!, thats right as well, the rear differential does steal some power too, but you forgot about mid engine cars. I was really only going by the purest explaination (push vs pull) rwd would be the more efficiant design.

14. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Why the hell would you have to do that? Are you really that dumb as to not realize that you simply turn the engine 90 degrees in RWD?

15. bugginout

bugginout New Member

how does that work?

16. uflathead

uflathead Guest

hello, earth to stupid:slap: :wtf: are you talking about?:confused: Go look under the hood of a rear wheel drive car and look at which way the engine sits. If you're bright enough to notice the crank runs from front to back. Now you might want to observe the rear-end and notice how the axles are 90 degrees to the crank.

How the hell do you propose to turn the engine 90 degrees so the crank is parallel to the alxles? Are you going to stick a transmission on one end of the block and then drive the rear end with a chain?:rolleyes:

17. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Ah....I thought you were talking about how the engine sits in the engine compartment, not the rear differential. My mistake. :doh: I retract my insulting statement. FWD is still gay as hell. Nothing looks more retarded than a FWD burnout....

18. bait

bait New Member

not to mention fwd is easier for soccer moms to handle on ice.

19. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:eek3: :eek3: Time to start developing Civic RWD conversion kits!!

20. Possum Stomper

:werd:
    the mass market sucks

21. Fabian

Fabian Guest

The SS name is just not special anymore. So sad, but this is also from the same company who killed the F-Body after making them cost 30-40K. I love GM, but the shit they do sometimes...