waxy maize?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by T-R-T, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

How do you guys take it? Before, after? With whey, without? I've read on other forums ppl take it by itself then wait 15 minutes and drink their protein. Others drink them together before, during, and after. What's best?

2. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Usually 30g in my pre/during-workout BCAA's and 60g or so in my post workout shake.

3. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I don't have bcaa's. For pre/during should I drink it by itself or add some whey?

4. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Pre-workout: 35g wm, 20gbcaa's, 2g glutamine
    Post-workout: 35g wm 20gbcaa's, 2g glutamine
    30 minutes later: 50g whey, 1/2 cup oatmeal
    30 minutes later: food

5. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

I'm considering adding the waxy to my during workout shake, have you tried waxy just pwo? can you please compare the 2?

side note-

i've heard many ways to take your waxy (these are all coming from experts in the field). 1 similar to ross's above;

another (which is what I do) is 5gcaa + 5g leucine + beta alanine DURING my workout; immediately after (in the parking lot)80-100g waxy PWO with 10g bcaa + 5g leucine + creatine + beta alanine; then wait ~20 mins and have a whey iso shake (50-60gs) with a slow digesting whole food carb source (i take 30-50g from oats/white potato/etc)

shit fucking rocks, so much better than malto/dextrose IMO... i also have tried what I did above without the complex carbs with my whey iso shake and i feel the addition (what i do now) of the carbs is better

6. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

No why would I compare the two? There's probably going to be next to no measurable difference in my workouts I just do it for carbs and to help shuttle the BCAA's and all that shit.

I just throw all my pre workout stuff in one shake because its more convenient (beta alanine, bcaa's, etc). Figured why not add some WMS to it.

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

on what basis? do you feel it working for you quicker?

8. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Its a higher molecular weight carb and blah blah blah science bullshit that justin harris explains much better than I can but yes its "better" :p

9. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i remember harris' explanation... prob something to consider in my 5th yr of working out

10. SanDiegoMarine

SanDiegoMarine New Member

they have found that adding whey protien to your carb source increases the insulin response than just carbs by themselves. so i add my whey to the waxy right after workout

11. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

35g in my shake post workout.

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

No one ever got big without waxy maize.

Oh, wait...

13. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

but you suggest things like poutine to timber :mamoru:

14. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

no one said that so what the fuck are you talking about

15. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

easy there big guy

16. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I don't even know what this shit is. I eat whole grain pita rolls after my workouts. :o

17. y1997

You should be taking in a fast-digesting protein PWO anyway.

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

No necessarily. That's pretty much only if you've trained on an overnight fasted stomach. If you eat before like you should, details don't matter much as long as you get your nutrients.
    GI (ie : fast carbs) is also pretty irrelevant there too unless you're in a fasted state and since there's a window of non-insulin dependant glucose uptake after the training bout lasting like 30 min. GI is pretty much only relevant if you train twice a day.
    Oh and there were studies suggesting that isolates are TOO fast acting to be really useful and that slow-acting is better for mass gaining even around workouts.

19. y1997

Oh, ok.

But seriously, this is all mumbo jumbo to me. Whatever I'm doing right now works. It works for Pur, and it works for many other people out there. Protein shake + carbs post workout was the staple of fitness nutrition I thought?

20. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

ironically waxy maize is a carb

21. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If you take this, it WILL work since it's just nutrient-less food. It doesn't mean that it's necessary, it doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it. Studies showing the efficacy of fast carbs and protein are done with people who were overnight fasted so... I know that timber used to train like this, so it applies for him. Otherwise, it's not so important. Worrying about which one is better between whey concentrate, whey isolate, calcium caseinate, gemma protein, etc. Is pretty much useless. Usually, whole food is better.

I saw a study that showed that isolate was to fast absorbed to have a beneficial effect. Why not take something like Milk Protein Isolate (which has whey + casein) since casein was shown to be pretty good even around workouts. Or even better, milk or yogurt since dairy jacks up insulin much more than it should according to its sugar content (and it's good around the workout). It's the milk's protein which jacks up the insulin btw, so those who say NOOOOO avoid insulin around a workout if you want fat loss but take BCAA (highly insulinogenic) and whey isolate (same), they pretty end up jacking their insulin up but without taking sugar so they can end up with low blood sugar levels.

People can make big progress with food only if it's done properly.

22. Sims.0

Sims.0 New Member

those of you taking bcaas, what brand do u use? i have been using primaforce and that shit DOES NOT mix well.

23. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Just to slightly further what andrew has said, I think a lot of this "uber fast carbs and uber fast protein after a workout" business has come from the supplement industry advertising, rather than from any scientific backing.
    It sure SOUNDS like it makes sense... get protein to your muscles faster to repair them quicker.

However, I have read that protein synthesis peaks 12 HOURS after a workout.. whey will have come and gone by that point. If you work out in the evening, you could argue that BREAKFAST would be the most important meal.

After a workout, your body is more concerned with replenishing glycogen than it is with building the muscles used. That's one of the reasons that waxy maize is beneficial - it replaces glycogen very quickly.

Also yes, simple carbs are good for the insulin which encourages the protein into your muscle.. but the whole thing about having to use a fast digesting whey isn't backed by much that I have seen. And don't forget that combining fast carbs with other things slows down their absorption anyway. Same goes for waxy maize.

If in doubt, I would use a whey, casein, egg blend. That way the whey will absorb quicker and the casein will absorb over several hours.

I thought the protocol was:
    Immediately PWO - waxy maize
    10-20 mins later: your protein

But anyway, before pur comes, reads this and has a brain haemorrhage with anger, I doubt any of this shit really matters.

Just give your body enough calories, carbs and protein after a workout and don't stress. I like waxy maize but only for convenience sake. I work out at home so it isn't exactly hard to have my waxy maize followed by a shake 1/2hr later, then a meal later on. Personally I don't like eating right after a workout.. I feel fucking sick if I do.

If you are more busy or can't be bothered, just eat a big meal.

24. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

None of them do really. Even if you buy bulk L-leucine it just froths and sits on the top.

I bought a small tub of Xtend but probably won't bother buying again. It doesn't mix either and I haven't really noticed anything different in terms of workout/recovery etc. I'll save the rest of this tub for when I'm on a cut.

25. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

ya know...im gonna let your comment go and post what i was going to before getting to it...

your dead on the money...esp with the time frame...although i have learned it more to be 5-6 hours but we share the same mindset. Your post is dead on. Although WM is a good product for training and not giving you a sugar bloat or stomach issue

and fuck off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.