Waxing?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackhole, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Should I really be waxing my car every three months? I wax mine twice a year, once before the snow and again before the summer starts. I was just curious if I should be doing it more, and what the reasoning behind the every 3 months is?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yes, you should wax your car every 3 months. There is no miracle '1 year' wax. Even synthetic waxes like Zainos or Klasse need to be 'refreshed' to keep protecting the paint.

Wax will help protect against bug guts, bird shit, acid rain, the sun, etc; but exposure to all that will degrade any wax. If you wash your car with dish detergent, it will strip the wax.

If you notice the water beads after a rain look flat and are about the size of a quarter, it is time to wax again-even if it has been less than 3 months. Besides, the more you wax, the shinier your paint will be. My Accord is 12 years old and the paint looks better than new. I wax my car every 4-6 weeks.

This pic is less than a year old:

[​IMG]

3. luvthong

luvthong Guest

so my question is, can you wax on a waxed car? let say I just wax my car two weeks ago and now it's a bit dirty so I wash it, can it just wax it again, without polish it this time? will it help to bring back more shine this way?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you are using a pure wax, then they will usually 'layer' on top of each other and deepen the shine. If you are using a cleaner wax, then each coat will strip the old coat. If you want to wax often, then use a pure wax-check the product list for more information.