Waxing directions?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 97gsr, Apr 19, 2002.

1. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

ok so i got a red integra, but some parts of the car like the spoiler and the hood is fading. i want to bring back the shine and maintain the shine. I'm probably going to go pick up the Meguairs Mirror Glaze polish and Mirror glaze wax. (Scottwax recommended these in another post)

but anyways, my car hasnt been waxed in maybe 2+ years. i just usually wash my car with some car wash soap and wipe it down.

can someone give me directions or suggestions on how to go about waxing and polishing my car? the more detail the better.

2. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Guest

Waxing isn't hard. You put the wax on the car (or applicator) and spread the wax. Some will tell you to use circular motions, but I use straight motions. Don't apply too much pressure when applying and make sure there is NOTHING on the paint when you wax it or else you will get small scratches/swirl marks, etc. Wait for it to dry (the wax) and then buff it with a clean, 100% cotton towel.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Your car hasn't been waxed in over 2 years? :slap: Admit it, you know you deserved that slap! :rofl:

Depending on the condition of the paint (non clearcoated red fades a lot), you definitely should polish before waxing, what your paint looks and feels like will determine how strong a polish you need initially. In addition, you should get some detailing clay, after 2 years of no wax, you likely have contaminents imbedded in the paint. Autozone has Clay Magic for $9.99 and it is the best commercially available clay, IMO.

Once the paint is slick and glass smooth, then you can wax. If you are using a pure wax (no cleaners or polishes in it), you can wax any direction you want. Use a foam hand applicator and remove the excess with terry cloth (cotton) or microfiber towels.

After you finish, make sure you wax every 3 months from here on out, and your paint will look better and better with age.

4. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

what does the clay magic do? so i should polish, use the clay magic, then wax?

5. Scottwax

Detailing clay removes imbedded contaminents from the paint. After washing, if you rub your hand across the paint and it has a gritty feel, you need to clay the paint.

If the paint is really oxidized, you should polish first to remove as much oxidation as possible, then clay, then use a light polish/swirl remover/glaze and then wax.

6. anemic

anemic Guest

I used the mothers clay bar (only brand i could find) on my car this weekend in one spot with overspray and was really happy with the results, I wanted to hit some more spots but im tempted to do the whole body. Are there any effects of using the clay bar that would make it a bad idea to do the whole body? thanks

7. Scottwax

You can use a clay bar over the entire car with no adverse effects--unless you drop the bar and contaminate it, of course.

8. anemic

anemic Guest

alright, thanks