A&P Watermarking your web forum uploads

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, Feb 16, 2010.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I joined the Chicago photography Meetup Group. A bunch of us took photos at the Chinese New Year parade http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Digital-Photo/photos/827128/ and uploaded photos. I noticed that a few people watermarked their images. There are also a few on OTAP who mark all their uploads too.

How concerned are you about people stealing your stuff? I think I shoot good photos, but on the grand scale my photos are not good enough for somebody to steal. Do any of you have a link to a photo where you can say, "This is my (or my buddy's) photo and it got ripped off and now it's all over the Web"? Other than pros having their livelihood protected, I don't see why the average person should give a hoot about watermarking. I see some stuff that's watermarked and I think "Yeah, as if...".

2. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

How was the parade? I was going to go shoot it but I ended up leaving early on Sunday and missed it.

BTW pictures are not viewable because the the group is private.

3. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I'm not concerned about people stealing my images. I do it because I want people to know who took the photo. If I can get a lead to a paying gig based on my watermarked stuff, awesome. Marketing 101.

4. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

:werd: All my images I upload are too small to do much with anyways. I just want my name out there as much as possible.

5. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

I never thought about that approach.

6. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/2502; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

There are a few photos that i took of my car floating around on several blogs and forums that i never visit. Not so much for my 'amazing photography skills' but that the subject is interesting to some people. It bothered me at first but i got over it. You just can't expect images uploaded to the internet to not get stolen. I still dislike watermarks so lately i just post smaller pics. It's not like i'm trying to make any money off this stuff.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

hmmm what goes on in this meetup group??

8. Ty Webb

Yessir. If someone did steal a photo of mine and removed my watermark, in the slim chance i'd find it, I could still prove it was my image with the originals.

But my reasoning is all about marketing myself. Without those watermarks on my flickr photos of the chicago auto show, my website would not have had the additional 5,000 hits this past weekend. :)

That's the kind of exposure companies and sole proprietors pay thousands of dollars for.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

those numbers taper off yet?? mine did...

10. Ty Webb

I'm still getting a few thousand a day

11. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I haven't met any of the other people yet. It's a private group, but I think anybody who submits a request gets an automatic yes. Either that or the moderator is awake at 2AM. It's a share-your-pictures forum, but they also meet up (get it?) in the city to take photos. The Chinatown meet had a RSVP limit and it was full so I just went by myself. Here are the photos that I uploaded (without watermarks ;)).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I feel too embarrassed to put a logo/watermark. I think I suck horribly still, and don't want to look pretentious :o

13. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

It was difficult because the sun was behind the parade. Shooting as they approached was horrible because it was shooting into the sun. Great light after they passed, but then it's all photos of backs of heads. The people facing me were photographed before the parade as they walked to the starting point.

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my images have gotten passed around the web and people have come back to me wanting to order prints. had my watermark not been on it then they would've have known the photographer :dunno:

i've made lots of money off prints like this so I think its worth it. you never know who may be willing to buy your image. I've had terrible images sell and some awesome ones that don't...

15. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I hate that. Some picture I'm proud as fuck about gets no interest, but an accidental picture of a dog always gets invited to charity exhibits :rofl::ugh::wtc: