Watermarking Video

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scotty, Mar 16, 2008.

1. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

I am looking for an app that will allow me to place a simple watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the video. I downloaded Final Cut Express and I couldn’t find out how to get this to work. I had the watermark centered right in the middle of the screen and I couldn’t figure out how to shrink it and place it in the corner. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I haven't messed with FCE myself but in FCP you've just got to import an image or whatever (or a video for that matter), use the 'basic motion' filter/tab to adjust position/size and opacity. Then maybe throw a drop shadow on it for good measure. It's probably the same or similar in express :dunno:

3. scotty

Got it positioned in the bottom right, but now the problem is when I try and stretch the watermark file on my timeline to make it span the whole movie it stops at a certain point. I tried changing the duration to the whole movie, but it just reverts back to a couple minutes.

edit: nevermind got it. since it was a multi-layered .psd i had to go into user pref and change the still / freeze duration. not sure why but it worked.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. scotty

Ok, now the problem is original video res is 512 x 384 and FCE is outputing it at 720 x 480. How do I get it to not change the res and just leave it the same.

5. eighteen_psi

(Baring a limitation of FCE i don't know about) You need to modify the settings for that sequence. 720x480 is your generic DV NTSC size so that's the default. FCP6 will prompt to alter a sequence to suit the first thing you drop on it :dunno:

In any case, right/ctrl click the sequence and adjust settings to suit, Sequence menu -> settings, or cmd-0, assuming hotkeys match.

6. scotty

In the sequence settings I see Timeline Options and Render Control. Under Render Control I see you can change the frame rate and resolution but it can only be changed to a % of the "sequence frame size"

7. eighteen_psi

I should just pirate a copy of FCE for the common good or something :hsd:
    Rendering is your output or display, so that's not what you want. Timeline options in FCP sets stuff like thumbnail size and if you want audio waveforms...interface stuff, not what the sequence represented by the timeline is. I'll um, look into this a little later.

8. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

You should be able to change it in your export settings.

How are you exporting the file?

9. scotty

At first I was going to do Divx, but then I saw it was outputing as an actual .divx file not an .avi with divx so I canceled that. In the Divx options it allowed me to change the res. It showed input 720 x 480 then i could change the output to 512 x 384.

I'm aiming for the file to be wmv or avi and neither of these options allow me to change the res. I was thinking of exporting to quicktime with h.264 then using VisualHub to convert to avi w/divx. Although I know each time I do this I will loose quality.

10. eighteen_psi

Assuming you have the space (budget 1.5GB/minute), fire it out to quicktime w/ Animation codec at 100% quality..that's fully lossless and chops 30-50% off uncompressed usually. Then visualhub it however you want. Don't try the other shit straight out of FCW, particularly WMV/AVI.

11. scotty

I actually just hooked up a empty 153 GB external drive, so I could do that. File is 21:57 long so that would make it a ~31 GB file. I bet that would take a long ass time to convert in VisualHub, but there's no rush. I'm on a Macbook Pro CD 2.0ghz, 1.5 GB ram.

12. eighteen_psi

Animation was one of the original QT codecs, very light on CPU. The CD will destroy it. Your limit will probably be disk IO in either case...so read from one, write to the other...a USB disk (and anything but a really modern desktop 7200 internal) can't reliably play a SD animation QT in realtime...but it doesn't use jack for cpu time.

13. scotty

Estimated time was at 6 hours now its at 4 hours. Keeps fluctuating. 1% done.

14. eighteen_psi

This is a really inefficient workflow as far as transcode and render times go shuffling frame sizes, codecs and containers around, so yeah...it probably take a little while. Glad its working out in any case :cool:

15. scotty

Thanks for your help. :bowdown:

16. eighteen_psi

When you're highendson like me, you don't often get to deal with trivial things like codecs, frame sizes, transcoding problems or workflow issues :mamoru:
    Other than like, all the damn time :o

17. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

Why visualhub over the direct exports?

Speed alone? I haven't had much quality success with FFMPEG transcodes. They're fine, but not quite up to some of the other transcodes you can get.

18. eighteen_psi

Visual hub can do one as well as anything given a proper codec and config, though personally I use compressor/xgrid for most of my stuff since my deliverables are almost exclusively quicktime. My experience with FCP has been that it pretty well sucks at exporting anything quicktime doesn't handle well. Quicktime sucks at AVI and even more so at WMV (even with flip). As far as quality, normally you don't want to compress more than once obviously..but that's what the Animation codec export is for since it's lossless.

Not that it applies here too much, but I also prefer workflows that allow me back at my app as quickly as possible. Though he's limited by disk on an animation export, it takes minimal cpu time...so if you've got a fast disk/array it'll be way faster than a compressed encode, more so with advanced stuff like h264, prores, multipass xvid, etc. That means you can let it crunch in another app/process and get back to work :cool:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  19. scotty

It finished 6 hours later. Only a 11 GB file. Popped it into VisualHub and it only took about 20 minutes to convert to avi and shrunk it down to 361 MB. Not bad, but way to long of a process. Hopefully I don't have to do this again anytime soon.

20. eighteen_psi

xvid? other mp4?

And yeah, animation codec is completely content dependent on size...uses run-length encoding ala .gif, etc. so its very efficient if you have lots of single color areas and whatever. I just didn't want you running out of space ;)

21. scotty

VisualHub encoded it into an .avi with divx.