Water cooling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Runescaper, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

I've been toying with the idea of getting some kind of water cooling system for my PC. My current system isn't to the point of overheating, although it does idle around the high 40s c, and I haven't overclocked it. The main reason I'd like water cooling is because my current fan, which speeds up as the CPU gets hotter, can be very loud at times and annoying. I've heard that watercooling can greatly reduce system temps and still bring the noise level down quite a bit.

I'm not prepared to spend $300+ on a water cooling system that I'm not even sure I would be able to put together and get working. Many people have said they can be a big hassle to set up properly and, many times, wont even fit in some cases. Are there any systems that are geared towards the beginner and would be easier to set up? I've looked at some exterior ones as well as some that fit into 5.25" bays but when I read reviews there are still a lot of people saying it leaks or is a complicated install.

Is what I'm asking for non-existant or can anyone point me in the direction of something that might work for me?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if you don't want to do it right, don't waste your time or money. Get good air cooling, which in many cases will get you fairly close to the same temps you'd have with water. Look at the Zalman 7000 or 7700 HSF's, maybe get a better case and a couple more case fans.