Water Cooling?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by freshie, Dec 8, 2005.

1. freshie

freshie New Member

I have a server in my house, P4 3.2 800 MHz, 1GB RAM, 2 DVD burners, 3 Hard drives, its pretty active when I am home. I do all my downloading and burning with it and use my laptop to surf. All my computers in the house backup to it.

Anyways last week I had a processor fry on me and I came to the conclusion it was a heat issue. I have a coolermaster case with 2 fans and they weren’t pushing shit.

I replaced it and I am looking for some cooling alternatives. I changed my exhaust fan and my CPU temp is about 35C idle (The BIOS say 45ish) I am not sure what is normal. I changed my CPU fan with the old processor and the processor still burned out so that’s why I’m looking for alternatives. So right now I have a very good exhaust fan, the Intel heatsink w/ fan, and an intake fan which is shitty. Anyone have any experience with water cooling? Am I wasting my time? A few extra $$ is worth keeping my machine running smoothly.

Thanks! :wiggle:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I think your server should remain air cooled. With proper care and minor physics, you could ge very efficient cooling out of your server. I wouldn't Watercool unless you plan on OC'ing.

3. freshie

freshie New Member

But I need some ideas. Some fans something? :)

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Ugh, I guess. A decent CPU fan and an exhause should do just fine.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you should get a motherboard that shuts down the computer before the processor fries....

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

go to www.3dcool.com. They have tons of fans. If this server is in a closet or something, get the fastest ball bearing fans you can find. And clean the dust off your heatsinks.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

You don't need fast fans for good cooling. Just a good heatsink and a decent fan.

8. freshie

freshie New Member

Its not in a closet. Its out and in a room where I sleep so I wouldnt want something so loud.

I was thinking this: http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-exos-2-black.html

But when I encode dvds to burn it runs my processor up to 100% and I am worried it will get to warm with just the intel fan I have on there.

9. lowfat

If you are serious about watercooling, I'll give you some tips. Don't buy Koolance nor any other kit for that matter with the exception of the Swiftech Apex. You can get far superior performance for the same cost, if not cheaper.

Swiftech MCP655 pump - $79.99
    Swiftech Apogee CPU block - $49.99
    Black Ice Extreme 120mm radiator $40.99
    10 feet of Tygon #R3603 tubing - $23.50
    10 hose clamps - $3.60
    Panaflow 120X38 FBA12G12L - $15.95

total cost - $214.02 + shipping. That is over $100 cheaper than the EXOS, and performance will be much better, and will definately be quiet.

If you want to watercool your videocard as well , throw in an Swiftech MCW55 block ($49.95) and upgrade to a larger radiator (~$20 more) and add another fan. Still cheaper than the EXOS.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I've watercooled many machines, and have had very few problems.

10. freshie

freshie New Member

Well the thing with doing it that way is how do you mount all the stuff?

I dont know if I want to go that route because I dont know to much about it but if I werent to water cool can you reccomend a really good cpu fan/heatsink? Im not sure what to do :noes:

11. lowfat

a good HSF would be either an Thermalright XP-120 if it fits or a XP-90C