Water Cooling ?'s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im new to this, but i do oc and i would like to get my computer a little cooler, im interested in buying a kit as i feel that would be easier than building my own system. Are there any kits that anyone can recommend that are good, i dont want to spend over 200, but the cheaper the better.
    Ive been looking on ebay, and i see these 5.25 bay units w/ combined resorvoir and radiator in the unit. Are these as good as some with individual components? Thanks for any help.
    Here is one i have been looking at, any thoughts?
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370502

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

you get what you pay for. it would be better to build your own kit. You don't want a crappy kit failing on you then destroying parts of your pc, right?

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Water cooling is one of the places that you can't skimp. Cheap quality parts are just a disaster looking for a place to happen.
    IMO you're better off getting a big heatsink(thermalright xp120, or something of similar size) and a higher flow fan.

4. torquehead

torquehead New Member

I'm interested in using water cooling for the next computer I build. I haven't had any experience using water coolers for my cpu, graphics card, et cetera, but I'd definitely give it a try. :dunno:

It may not be a dire issue now, but hotter electronics require much more air flow to cool each device now than they had not too long ago. It looks like the trend will continue, with higher demands placed on improving heat sink materials and beefing up the fans placed on them. I think water cooling's the way to go.

With that said, you might try individually pricing the components. It'll probably turn out to be cheaper than the whole set. I'd be somewhat wary about leaks, but all circuit boards are coated with waterproofing to prevent damages due to air humidity...they'll probably stand up to modest leaks if you pay attention and catch the problem early on. I think... :squint:

Anyway, tell me how it goes. Next computer project's just a few short months away, and I'm always interested in learning something new.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

watercooling is like this:

you had to ask, therefore you should not do.

6. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

and if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. You aren't born with all the knowledge in the world, people learn through communication. okay?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ah, yes, advice from the generation of "everyone is a winner".

sorry, but I have news for you -- I like to call it "reality". Everyone is not a winner. You are not special. The sooner you come to terms with these facts, the better you will do.

8. Robb

Robb Guest

I really dont appreciate this, I knew nothing about how to build a computer about 2 months ago, after much reading, and research, i bought all the components and built my computer, its runs flawlessly. Im very good with electronics. I dont know why i shouldnt be doing this, i understand how they work, i was just asking if any of the pre-assembled kits were worth a shit, dont undermine my intelligence.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're about to put water *in* your case. Think about it. If you had to ask, you are not qualified to do it.

You didn't ask about wc setups in-general.... you asked specifically about your case. I feel it neccessary to warn you of the risks you are undertaking.

10. Robb

Robb Guest

ive been gaining info over on ocforums.com, and yes, Water IN my case, lots of people have wc'ing setups, they are very prevalent, just wanted to jump into tha game bitch

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, dive right in if you want, but I do not think you have the neccessary understanding to create an efficient or safe wc setup.

12. Robb

Robb Guest

well why not enlighten me on what is the necessary understanding to create a safe and efficeient wc setup, that was basically the purpose of my thread, i would appreciate it. thanks

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

First off. Watercooling is very high maintainance. You have to change the water, clean the lines every few months, and its a major pain in the ass. Watercooling also doesn't give you an better of an overclock most of the time, unless your willing to put through insane amounts of voltage through your cpu. I am not trying to turn you off water cooling though, if your willing to spend time and care on your setup, its all worth it. I idle @ 29°C-30°C, and the computer is much quieter as i can run the radiator fan @ 1500rpm, and still maintain amazing temps.

People overestimate the danger of watercooling. Most of the time, spilling water on the computer, will usually just prevent the computer from booting. I have spilled water a few times, when bleeding it on the videocard/motherboard, all i had to do was wait till the morning, and she started up fine.

If you are planning on W/C still. Do a lot of research on the internet about waterblocks, radiator/heatercore, fans, tubing, etc. I read up a good few months before i purchased any of my parts. O and a DIY will performe much better than a kit usually, and will save you money.

14. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

haha, what the hell are you talking about. quit trying to be such an elitist fuck. you seem incredibly dense. you are not better than everyone else. I'm doing quite fine in life, thanks.