Watching Widescreen DVD Movies On A Widescreen TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Datalyss, May 23, 2008.

1. Datalyss

Datalyss New Member

I wasn't sure which tech forum to post this in, so here goes it:

I have a bunch of DVD movies in widescreen, but it's kinda strange watching widescreen movies on my widescreen TV, and seeing those damn black bars; so my question is, is there a widescreen TV that will allow you to watch widescreen DVDs without the black bars (like on the theater screens)?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's all about aspect ratio. Some fill the screens, some have a letter-box effect. Your DVD player should have a "zoom" function to sacrifice some width to gain the height.

Personally, I leave it alone and watch it the way it was meant to be watched.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

If there are bars on the top and bottom that's normal. The DVD's content is wider then your TV screen. If there are bars on the sides and you are sure it's a wide screen DVD you need to adjust your display settings.

4. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

i assume you are talking about 2.35x1 aspect movies ..... (might want to take a look at the back of the dvdbox to check that out y'all) .....

there will be NO tv set that is 2.35x1 aspect ratio EVER ..... does projectors show them fully?

HOWEVER if it is an 1.85x1 (or 16x9) aspect movie, you will have to setup your player to 16x9 or widescreen or cinema or whatever it is NOT letterbox of FULLSCREEN ..... and it also helps that your tv autosets it's own aspect ratio too!

mind if you list some of them?

5. Datalyss

Datalyss New Member

Yes, there's a Zoom on my DVD player remote. Before doing that though, I found out that the "display" in "setup" has an option for 16:9 widescreen, so I set it to that, and put in a widescreen movie. The bars are still there, but they're not as "thick" and therefore not as noticeable as they were.

Anyway thanks. If you hadn't mentioned the zoom, I wouldn't have thought of any of this. ;)

BTW, I do understand why the bars are there. Basically, widescreen movies are the same aspect ratio as shown in the theaters; they're just shrunk down to fit a square TV screen. Where as in full screen movies, part of the film reel is physically cut off so that the movie fills the entire square TV screen, hence the "This film has been modified to fit your TV screen."

Nope, no side bars. Not unless I switch my TVs display mode to 4:3.

My TV has 3 picture size modes:

1. 4:3 square
    2. 16:9 full widescreen (what is currently set to)
    3. 16:9 panoramic widescreen (which I hate)