Watching "deep" movies doesn't make you smart.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Paintballer, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

I am really sick of talking to pseudo-intellectuals (more times than not trying too hard to be called or known as "emo") when I ask them what their favorite movies are, they always include Donnie Darko and Reqium for a Dream. These are also the kids that go out of their way to find bands that not many other people listen to, so when you ask them who their favorite band is, they get a disgusting contemptuous look on their face and treat you like you wouldn't understand.

I have seen Donnie Darko. I thought it was a pretty good movie, and Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the most talented new-comer actors in Hollywood. I have the misfortune of being friends with a lot of these "emo" kids, but everytime they start talking about Donnie Darko, I know I will walk out of that room dumber than when I entered. They know nothing about time-travel or the meaningful aspects of the movie! When I try to create intelligent arguments about the movie (which my arguments are weak, because I've only seen the movie once and was muttering how much the movie fucking sucked the whole time I was sitting through this intelligence diminishing movie), my "friends" stare at me with a not-so-bright look on their face and tell me that I just don't understand the "deeper side" of the movie, and I just look at the scientific aspects of the movie.

I have a lot more respect for Back to the Future than I do for Donnie Darko. That movie can be understood by a 10 year old, and I have witnessed 5 year olds patronizing fans of Donnie Darko after completely destroying them in an argument about time travel. I would much rather sit through Michael J Fox's terrible acting than watch Donnie Darko again.

I do like Donnie Darko, but it is kind of hard to compare that movie to BTTF. This isn't meant to be a bash on Donnie Darko. I just hate the bandwagon this movie created for people who can't come up with original arguments and I can't sit through another stupid look on someones face whenever I ask them something about time travel.

Once again, I have only seen Donnie Darko one time, and wasn't paying attention through a lot of it, but I have the general idea after listening to my "friends". I am sure the movie has a very intelligent side to it, but I am just making fun of the kids who act like they understand it when they don't.

*This is paintballer's brother, if you don't like what I say, don't use it against him in future forums*

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  2. I kind of agree with you, but, you know, I think it's great people are watching such flicks. I'd rather hear someone go on and on about crap than not know of it.

but fuck donnie darko. christ...

3. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

It was a little more spiritual than being about time travel...

4. tefnut

tefnut build

Requiem was viscerally powerful the first time I saw it - the most powerful movie experience I have had, as far as I can remember. Darko was just quirky, as far as I could tell. Amusing, but I haven't really given it too much thought. I don't know if I'd call any of these movies "deep" or "smart" as an absolute qualification - they're just far, far better than 99% of the drivel in cinemas / on TV on any given day.

Oh, and I haven't really seen any "deep" or "smart" movies, now that I think of it. I've watched a lot of "intellectual" flicks with artistic pretensions, but at the end of the day, all you have is an entertainment experience. (Documentaries can surpass that.) The way to actually educate someone is through rigorous and precise arguments, done through a lecture, book or essay. Movies (generally) don't strive to accomplish this.

5. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

the first time i saw jennifer connolly doing ass to ass was a powerful experience for me too.

6. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

:hsugh: I have to agree with what the man said... watchin "deep" movies only makes you pretentious. pretentious people suck. fuck emo kids. you should just get new friends and shoot some of your old ones in the neck for being emo and knowing nothing about movies or life. fucking emo kids.

7. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

does a dramatic movie = deep? i didnt think there was anything deep at all about requiem for a dream, but i thought it was a very good and dramatic movie none the less.

i like donnie darko because of how interesting the idea of it all is and how it hasnt been explored in that light in a movie before.

i also like "deep" movies like the butterfly effect and vanilla sky because they were well told stories that were interesting, had shocking and good twists and turns in them. not because i felt any smarter after watching them. and with all that said my favorite movie is the new dawn of the dead, because i dont think it took itself all that seriously. it was just a load of fun. any zombie scenario is gonna be kinda cheesy and take something away from the overall experience, DotD said fuck that, zombies attack 5 minutes into the movie and lets not explain where they came from.

8. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

we knew where they came from. :hsugh:

9. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

where was that? the only allusions to it were the guy who got bit at the bar being moved to intensive care and the religious guy saying they came from hell.

the first is foreshadowing and not explanation and the second one is just someone trying to rationalize it in their own beleifs, not a real explanation.

10. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I assumed this would be an entire thread about requiem when I saw it. Let me say this about requiem. In my experience, every person that has ever told me how deep & powerful requiem was has been a person that (if they went) didn't finish college, is in the tech industry, usually not high in the tech industry, and believes themselves to be much more intellectual than they are.

The movie simply wasn't that good, but because some people talk about it like only the most intelligent people in the world can understand it, it must be fucking brilliance.

Requiem sucked. Pi sucked.

that being said, I've gotta agree with bryan2137, in that seeing connolly doing ass to ass, that moved me...well, part of me.

As for other so called "deep" films, it's just a movie. It's entertainment. It isn't going to solve your problems, it isn't going to do anything other than entertain you for a little bit.

11. DoubleWideNinja

DoubleWideNinja Yappers

Im actually glad you posted this. But first, a couple corrections:
    1. My school is filled with these "emo" kids you make mention of. But, judging by your diagnosis of them, they are simple non-conformists. A more common but also more parasitic breed of emotional teens. I have a friend who is very into the true "emo" movement, not the non-confomists who cut themselves one. Hes much better than the non-conformists.
    2.There is NO, i repeat, NO, deeper meaning in Donnie Darko. The writer and director posted the book, Philosophy of Time Travel on the movies website. Its impossible to navigate, so i suggest you just go here:http://www.tonystuff.co.uk/darko-spoilers.htm
    You will find that there is no scientific or spiritual truth behind what happened in Donnie Darko, it just makes for an interesting movie

12. DoubleWideNinja

DoubleWideNinja Yappers

o yeah, i absolutely hate non-conformists. I cant fucking stand a lot of the people that go to my school. I am declaring the Wednesday two weeks before Christmas break starts National Bring a Firearm/Explosive Device/Weapon of Minor Destruction to School Day. So, December 15 2004 will be NBFEDWMiDS Day. I invite everyone who reads this to go to school and that day with your weapon of choice and blast the shit out of anyhting even hinting at nonconformity/fake emo. Good Luck and Good Hunting!!!

13. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

ever notice how nonconformists all sort of look and act the same?

14. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

that's a little extreme. go be in your trenchcoat mafia elsewhere.

15. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

thats a ground breaking discovery, not like there wasnt a south park about this or anything....

16. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

don't watch south park... sorry. i'm not 8. i don't sit at home all day and watch children's programming. go be hang yourself for not being able to recognize independant thought. :wiggle:

17. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

my point is that is wasnt an astounding independant thought. much like if i were to say "ever notice how all football players tend to sort of drive big trucks and drink alot of beer?" and then to think i came up with something worth posting about.

18. ssroosta

ssroosta Guest

Geez, I haven't watched BTTF in forever. Definitely better than Donnie Darko. However, these "emo" kids obviously have no idea that the theme behind Donnie Darko wasn't time travel, just like DoubleWideNinja said. It's just some fucked up guy using time travel to save his little part of the world. You want a good time? Watch Fight Club. Senseless brutality is always better than some deep meaning about time travel. So there!

19. percent

percent deluded

you should try watching south park. i didnt like it when i was younger because i didnt understand it, but now i like it alot. its got alot of subtle (and not so subtle) polotical satire. trey and matt are really smart guys. def. not a kids program - other than the profanity i dont think little kids would even like it.

20. Paintballer

South Park definately does not restrict it's audience to children. I started watching the show in the 5th grade. Like most kids, I loved the violence and curse words. Now that I am older and a little bit smarter, I actually see the political satire and I can see how intelligent Matt Stone and Trey Parker actually are. They keep up the cursing and violence to keep the little kids entertained, but at the end of almost every episode, the kids learn their lessons and is usually when Matt and Trey slip in their actually position on whatever subject they are arguing.

--------------

No more south park posts please! The thread is changing subjects fairly fast.

21. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

You bunch of morons realise people are not "non-conformists" because they are trying to be right? Maybe they just happen to lead a different lifestyle to you, maybe they just happen to have interests outside of the norm? This thread is ridiculous and ignorant. People DO watch films to see things other than explosions and titties, you know, and they don't just watch them to impress other people.

22. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

first... the bug? take it out of your ass. second, learn to think before you type and third... shut the fuck up. :squint:

fucking children...

now...

doodoo... why is the thread ridiculous and ignorant?

23. Paintballer

d00d00, I would be very embarrassed if I was your age and could not construct coherent sentences or did not know how to spell check my work before posting it. I hope that when I am your age, in 9 years, I will not be nearly as dumb as you.

24. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

first....no, his name is humphrey and i like him. second saying "learn to think" without providing examples isnt a real argument.

fucking anonymous birthdays.....

25. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

I count zero spelling errors in my post but yes, my grammar was a little lacking.