watch .wmv format movies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

what is a good program to watch these? I ask because it always turns out I can't fast foward or rewind them. Sometimes there is only sound. Seems like .mpeg works out best for me.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I use MPlayer on Linux, I believe there's a Windows version as well. I can FF/REW WMVs, as long as they aren't streamed.

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

mplayer and xine (depending on if i wanna CLI it or not) and it plays fine with both (under linux)....if your running windows then either upgrade your media player or look for special codecs for your individual player

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Isn't .wmv a Windows Media Video file? The kind that runs in Windows Media Player? I think sometimes, when a file is encoded in WMV format, they make it so that you can't FF or RW intentionally, but I don't know that for sure since I've never encoded WMV files before...

5. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

thanks for the replies. Windows Media does sometimes play them, but sometimes it doesn't. I guess I was just trying to figure out why it doesn't. The FF and RW feature is understandable I guess.

I haven't looked for it yet, and I probably will later tonight, but is Mplayer free and downloadable?

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, http://www.mplayerhq.hu. It's free software.

Edit: Their fucking site is down due to the fucking new EU patent laws, but at the bottom of the page there is a link into the homepage (for now anyway).