wat ya think bout this one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ladiik3, May 21, 2007.

1. ladiik3

ladiik3 New Member

My bf posted here askin for any recommendations and I was wondering wat u guys think of the dell xps 210? I'm using it for college but I like to dload lots of pics and music. I also need to make it wireless (duh wat isnt).

I'm probably ordering it tonite if I don't get any bad responses. Thanks guys.

P.S. I don't know much about computers so if u decide to explain something please put them in small words lol thanks

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Now: "Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

A year from now: "Well...dude...you got a Dell."

Dell cuts corners on parts. They're very careful about how they do it, so you won't notice the poor performance until after a year or two, but Dells are not known for being robust machines that keep running well for years and years. If you want a machine that will last you through college without being painfully slow by the time Vista comes out with its first Service Pack, buy a Lenovo instead.

3. ladiik3

ladiik3 New Member

My mother has had a dell for 4-5 years and we haven't had any problems with it. We dropped the monitor 2 years ago and they replaced it wit no problems.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have the XPS M1210 and love it. If you search for people that actually have it, you will find out that they love it too...

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Their XPS stuff is passable. Not good, just passable.

All kinds of things happen to laptops, from coffee spills to being dropped to outright theft. For that reason, buying on the cheap end for a user likely to destroy the computer in a year can be a good thing.

If that's not you, meaning you plan to take good care of your machine, buy another brand. By going with a Lenveo you've not only got a strudier machine that'll last, but they have good relative resale value if you decide to buy a new one.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I just read about Dell getting hammered in a class action lawsuit for not honoring their warranties.
    They quoted an older lady in her 60's, as saying they tried to make her do physical troubleshooting inside the computer case even though her warranty covered in-house repair.

Looks like Jolly was right about Dell.

7. ladiik3

ladiik3 New Member

Do u still agree with ur comment if its a desktop (the xps 210 is the mini silver desktop) not a labtop?

8. Create

I wouldn't buy another Dell desktop for home or business use ever, for any reason.

I bought a few Acers recently. So far, so good, but I really havn't had them for long enough to say they're better/worse.

I do compare the Dells at work (which I support) to the ones I built, for me, friends, family. I'd guesstimate I have one third the issues from my builds than from the Dells.

You get the best of both worlds by going local. You don't really need to learn much, as you can simply let him spec the components then post here to make sure he's not scamming you and that the parts are of good quality.

If you know what the parts are, specifically, you can easily go to newegg.com and find out how much they cost, and thus roughly how much your local guy is charging for labor.

The end result is a high-quality machine that has better-performing parts where you need them and average-performing where you don't. It'll cost more than a Dell but it'll last longer, and not need any upgrades for quite some time.

9. Create

10. ladiik3

ladiik3 New Member

Thanks guys

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sorry, I thought you meant the XPS M1210 laptop...

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

:wavey: same here

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

:h5:

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Good for you guys. I've got about fifteen Dells of all shapes and sizes at work, from servers to workstations to laptops, along with an assortment of HP servers and IBM laptops, and I can tell you that the Dells consistently underperform compared to their age and compared to the other brands of machines. Dell has fantastic marketing and a mediocre product (at all levels, not just the basic consumer econobox level) that works well enough if you don't ever push it.

15. ladiik3

ladiik3 New Member

Well thanks a lot guys. I called my mom to tell her wat I have learned but she already ordered the dell xps 210. She was excited just to feel like I'm already leaving home lol. (Cuz she's buying all my stuff for college and its kinda like gettin ready to push me out, not in a bad way).

But I'm excited to finally get my own computer. If anythin goes wrong u will see me back in this topic lol. Thanks for all the info.