washout problems with ALL video

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pmoney, Jul 11, 2005.

1. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I have been having some problems playing any sort of video files in my new build. Below is a summary of what has happened and what I have tried so far.

1. Installed XP Pro SP, downloaded latest nvidia drivers 77.72 to fix problem scrolling in Explorer and IE.
    2. Installed all the XP updates (including WMP10)
    3. Tried playing mpeg/wmv in WMP, and they were all washedout and very light.
    4. Figured that it was some codec problem so I installed k-lite codec pack and wmp classic. Everything worked ok after that but only in wmp classic. I was fine with using wmp classic to watch my videos and things but I just wanted to be able make sure divx and mpeg,etc worked in regular wmp like on my old comp.
    5. Then I uninstalled klite pack and tried regular divx codec in order to try and make it work in xmp10. No luck, same problem.
    6. Tried downloading and reinstalling wmp10, no luck.
    7. Uninstalled divx regular and reinstalled klite. At this point I had resigned to forget even trying to play any video files in wmp10 and just sue wmp classic. However, now I am getting that light video even in wmp classic!

I have tried fiddling with wmp's internal brightness/hue settings but that hasnt done anything. I am only getting this problem with video (even streaming music vids off of windows or yahoo). I can play HL2 fine.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

check the display control panel... perhaps the "overlay gamma" has been set too high.

3. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

nope gamma seems to be set at 1.0. All the sttings in the nvidia 'color correction' menu for the monitor seem a-ok.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

overlay gamma to 0.5

5. Phazel

Phazel Active Member

not his problem

you need to go into your driver control panel - right click desktop, settings, advanced, click on your video card tab, color correction, then there will be a drob box thats has- apply color changes to- set it it all, then just apply and your done

there is your fix

6. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Thanks so much.:) It works fine now. :bigthumb: