GUN Washington state carry permit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dubrizo, Dec 11, 2007.

1. dubrizo

dubrizo New Member

I am considering getting my permit to carry in the state of washington.
    Is it hard to obtain a permit in this state? I've been asking around and have gotten mixed answers with nothing to base them factually.

I also want to know where guns are a no-no to carry such as: government buildings, schools etc.

Thanks guys.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've been a licensed CCW in the state of Washington for over 10 years. It's a "shall issue" state, which means they are easier here on CCW.

You have to call into your local police station. Meaning, if you called 911 rite now, what department would be answering your call. It's often much easier and FASTER, if you have a local city department outside of Seattle Metro. When I applied for mine, I applied in Kent and I got it in 6 days. Another friend of mine that just received his, received his in 5 days.

Anyhow, you call them FIRST, and you have to schedule a time, usually during Tuesdays or Wednesdays to come in and fill out the paper work and get your fingerprints done. Then pay them what ever the fee is, at the time I applied it was 40-50 dollars, and I've renewed 3 times since.

Basically the rules of CCW in Washington are. Do not pack:

- in designated school areas, including parking lots and play areas.
    - Government buildings like court houses, justice buildings, etc.
    - Airport: You cannot CCW beyond the security area.
    - Any establishment that serves alchohol.
    - Private property that designate it.

If you are serious about CCW and being efficient at pistols, or at least learning the basics. FAS = Firearms Academy of Seattle offers an awesome pistol safety class that's free. I've taken it twice. They also offer defensive pistol classes which is also top notch.

If you are as serious about it as I am, there's nothing like contiuned practice. We shoot IDPA every 3rd Saturday of the month at Renton. If you don't know what it is, it's a defensive pistol match that places you in real life scenarios, etc. But is a game simulation. Our next match is this Saturday. We are very open to new shooters and getting them started in our sport. Let me know if your interested. You don't need to have a CCW to shoot, or even need to be 21.

4. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

Basically yeah... what AB said.

I'm up in Bellingham. They accept apps every Thursday I think it is. Just call your local PD and ask when they do it. You head down, fill out a form, get your prints taken and pay them. It took me less than 2 weeks to get my permit.

As far as carry and no carry places... just read the law. My local shop had a little 50 pg "book" about carrying in WA. I read the laws and also this little book, plus handgunlaw.us for the info. WA is suprisingly carry friendly. The law is fairly clear (compaired to a lot of other states) about where you can and can't carry.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here are instances in Washington state were CCW is not required to carry.

When you are lawfully engaged in:

- Fishing (but keep in mind, it is illegal to fire a round over a body of water here)
    - Camping
    - Hiking
    - Your property
    - Your own business establishment

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

I would really really encourage you to understand the laws of engagement in this state. That is something I wouldn't want to print although I know it clearly I would encourage you to get a clear understanding of it and read it yourself. This may not only save your life, but when you have to defend yourself from a legal stand point.

My theory of this is, you must make sure you clearly understand the laws and know what EXACT actions you are willing to make when placed in that situation. It will all happen at a blink of an eye and you have to be very clear and dedicated to your neccessary decision of reaction.

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It sucks that Texas CHLs are not honored in Washington. I would love to go up there some time, but I like to carry when I travel.

8. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

i got mine at the seattle court house...took about 30 minutes

9. dubrizo

dubrizo New Member

Thanks for all of your insight and recommendations guys. truly helpful stuff. I live in bellingham as well and now I feel a lot more confident in going and obtaining my concealed weapons permit and knowing the where to carry and where not to carry laws.

10. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:werd:

Don't just read the laws be very fluent with them and understand them. If there is an area that you are concerned about or not quite understanding make sure you get clarification in some way.

11. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

:wavey: another OT'er in B'ham