Washing w/o a hose. . . QEW

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 70BirdGirl, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 70BirdGirl

70BirdGirl New Member

I got some QEW based on multiple recommendations and I'd like to use it to keep the salt dust and stuff off of my car in the winter, but I'm curious about how to use it so that I'm not just rubbing dirt into the paint. Usually I knock most of the dirt/dust off on the first spraydown with the hose. . .

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I use 2 capfuls per gallon of water, normally it only takes a gallon even to wash an Excursion. I wash a section at a time, ie, half the hood, one door, etc. Wash just like you were soaping up the car, go over each area a couple times, since there are no suds it is very easy to see if you missed anything. Make your first drying pass with a thick terry cloth towel and make sure you leave some moisture behind for the second and final drying pass with a microfiber towel. Move on to the next section. Do the wheels and fenderwells last, but stick with terry cloth towels only on those two items.

The best microfiber towels I have found for QEW washing are at Excel Detail.

[​IMG]

http://www.exceldetail.com/exceldproductspagemfs.html

$2.24 each!

3. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

The Excel Detail towels work great and are a great value.

Scott, I just can't bring myself to use a terry cloth towel even though my car is silver. I've been using 2 waffle weaves, but am thinking of switching 1 a waffle weave followed my a regular mf. Do you use any QD at all when you mix QEW?

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

5. Scottwax

I mix some Meguiars Final Inspection into the QEW mix when I am washing a car for the first time or don't wash regularly, seems to make the water bead a little better and makes drying easier.

I get real thick terry cloth towels at my Meguiars distributor. Excellent quality, extremely low linting too.

6. 70BirdGirl

70BirdGirl New Member

That write-up helped. I'll probably just have to leave the car dirty if it's freezing out, so that I can rinse the major dirt off at the car wash first.

I figured I could manage the actual process, I was just worried about rubbing dirt into the paint. Thanks!

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

The trick is not to rub hard, use the weight of the mitt, if that. You don't want to scrub like you do on pots and pans in the kitchen :)

8. Scottwax

Just FYI, I cleaned these two vehicles using the standard, single bucket QEW method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

10. Robb

Robb Guest

QEW really is a great product, i use it w/ the 2 bucket method and i use a mf towel to wash, works really well for me, been using it for the past 5 months, no marring whatsoever. Try it if you havent already

11. 70BirdGirl

70BirdGirl New Member

I just got in from washing. The car was covered in salt dust, so I rinsed it with the hose first, which made it a little harder to dry well since there was standing water on the flat spots. It worked really well, I used 4 mf towels the size of washcloths, 1 to get the water off, and another to dry w/o streaks, then switched whenever the first got too wet.

It worked pretty well, thanks for the writeups and tips.

Now my next question is - can I just toss the towels and the mitt in the washer/dryer, or is there a better way to clean them?

12. Scottwax

You have to wash the mf towels with other items that don't lint. Wash them with bath towels and you will have lint all over the mfs. BTW, the towels dry very quickly. Don't use too much heat and set the timer for a bit less until you know how quickly your dryer will get them dry.