Washing the car after body work

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by moocat, May 1, 2006.

1. moocat

moocat hello there OT Supporter

I had my right door shell and quarter panel replaced last week. How long should I wait until I wash/wax the car? I don't want to risk screwing up the paint.

2. seismic

seismic New Member

Ask the bodyshop, it depends on how they let the paint cure. I waited a month to wax my car when I got it painted, just in case; but it was probably overkill. Don't worry about washing, just make sure you're using a good mitt and gentle soap.

3. picus

picus New Member

If they baked it I like to wait a couple weeks. If not, 6-8 weeks before any sealants/waxes. You can wash immediately, you just don't want to "suffocate" the paint with waxes or sealants.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

You can wash it anytime, waxing, ask them. Until the, yYu can always do something like use a body shop safe polish such as #80 to polish anything they missed ( :mamoru: ) and it will add some protection, but allow the paint to breathe and cure :)

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The body shop that fixed my Accord uses Spies-Hecker paints. He said I could polish any time, no wax for 90 days and no high pressure washing for 7 days. Different paints/shops have different cure times for their paints though, so like others suggested, ask the shop to be sure.

6. moocat

moocat hello there OT Supporter

I called up the body shop and they said a week is plenty of time and I could go ahead and wash the car. He also said it's fine to wax it now too? I hope he's right :hsugh:

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Park the car in the garage overnight, if in the morning you don't have a 'new paint' smell in there, the paint has probably finished outgassing and has cured.

If they said you could wax it, then go ahead as long as they promise to take care of any problems that might arise from waxing too soon.

8. seismic

seismic New Member

If it's baked doesn't that eliminate curing time?

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Not always all of it, no. The body shop can't usually bake it at a high enough temperature to completely cure the paint, since the rubber/plastic parts on the vehicle would melt. When the factory bakes a paint job on an unassembled vehicle, they can bake it at a high enough temperature to cure it completely... but that's almost the only time that this happens as far as I know.