Washed car...questions?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Enkidu, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

I finally got around to using some of these products and all I have to say is...WOW!!! I washed my dad's truck and in return he bought me the supplies I needed and I got to keep them when I was done. First I washed the car with this Rain-X carnuba wax wash I had, then I clay barred the entire vehicle (which was a bitch considering there was sooo much overspray from painting it was ridiculous, although I got it all off) then I used the fine cut cleaner, then swirl remover (these two got rid of all the minor scratches on the car and infinately improved appearance) then show car glaze, high-tech yellow wax and then another coat of show car glaze. I used chrome polish on the wheels and bumper, eagle 1 20/20 on the glass, and tire gel for the tires. It looked like it had just come off the showroom floor, except better! I was extremely impressed, I just ordered the medium cut and heavy cut cleaner to do my car saturday. Thanks Scottwax and EMSFirefighter for all the tips. Once I got that Mothers clay bar/wax for my Celica, and it looked okay, nothing special, but this is amazing! Thank you.

Now for my questions. I ran out of my clay bar and I noticed the only way to really buy another is in that Mothers kit or packaged with detailer spray, is there any place to just get it by itself? After using Meguiars products with success I want to stick with Final Inspection as the detailer, I just need a clay bar...any suggestions? Secondly, with the fine cut cleaner, do I wax the entire car or just what needs it? I just did what needed it, but really wasn't sure---and when I get med./heavy cut cleaner: Do I do it in the same method as sandpaper? i.e. heavy, then medium, then fine, then swirl remover...or just heavy and then swirl remover? Finally, my wheels---they are stock 92 240sx SE wheels, and they have a green paint on one of them. I have tried Meguiars instant wheel cleaner, car soap, and even an SOS pad, nothing got rid of this. I even used the fine cut cleaner to see it it would penetrate the paint. The SOS got rid of some of it, but then stopped working. Any ideas? Or does it just need some more elbow grease?

Sorry so long...just three more things: Those chamosis towels work GREAT!! I dried the entire truck so fast and when it got wet I just rang it out. I've been using these for a while and just wanted to throw out a suggestion. Secondly, when it says shake before use, SHAKE BEFORE USE!! I waxed half of the truck with the top watery layer of wax that was a result of the wax sitting on the shelf for a while. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't hazing up or even drying, until I shook it and it came out as standard wax thereafter. Finally, I got everything from NAPA, they had everything for very competitive prices and they ordered the heavy/medium cut for me for no additional charge, just the price of a bottle of each. Thanks alot, I'm looking forward to doing my car and seeing how it will look.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

First off, by "show car glaze," do you mean Meguiar's #7? If so, apply another coat of wax to the vehicle immediately. Despite it's name, #7 is a polish. If you apply polish after wax, you're stripping the wax off the vehicle.

I've not seen a claybar without the lube that comes with it. Then again, I haven't really looked too far. I usually just pick up the Clay Magic at AutoZone down the road.

Your order on the polishes is correct. Always start with the heaviest cut first and work your way down the line.

If the SOS pad was working, give it a whirl again after your arm is rested up. It might just need some more elbow grease. If they're painted wheels just be careful - you're probably scratching the paint with the SOS pad.

3. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I do mean the Meguiars show car glaze #7, I didn't know it would strip the wax, I'll wax again tomorrow, thanks for the tip. I wanted it to shine even more, will a quick detailer after wax show any noticible difference in shine?

Also, I just use the cutitng cleaners where it needs it, right?

4. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Also, on my car I have a spot where the clear coat is gone, it's about 4" diameter circle. You can easily see where the clear coat ends and it will flake off if you pick at it...can I do anything about this? Make it less noticible or is it purely a job for the body shop?

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Nope, use it on the whole car. It won't hurt anything. As far as your clear coat issue, sounds to me like a trip to the body shop is in order. I know nothing about how to repair clear coat.

And Yes, Quick Detailer should add some additional shine after waxing.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Would your Celica happen to be an '85? I had an '85 Celica and because the engines run so lean, the exhaust manifold would glow red hot on long trips and eventually it began to ruin the clearcoat right above the exhaust manifold. Your only solution is a repaint and to try and fabricate some sort of heat shield to protect the paint in the future.

Make sure when you detail the next time, you only use the level of polish you need. If the paint still looks real good, you shouldn't need to use Fine Cut or #9, just go with #7. About once a year, go all out, but for maintenance between deep cleanings, just use a glaze then wax. You may also want to try S100 the next time. I guarantee it will be the easiest wax to use you have ever tried. Best shine, too.

Post some pics when you get a chance!

7. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Nah, I was referring to my 2000 celica that I sold, I now have a 240sx. I'm about to start working on it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try s100 next time. I'll get pics up if i get a chance and a camera. Thanks for the help.