A&P Wash. DC - C&C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by bakinbits, Mar 18, 2008.

1. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

First posting of C&C pics since getting my D80 in late January. Go get em. :eek3:

1. Theodore Roosevelt Island
    [​IMG]

2. Random Ducks
    [​IMG]

3. Georgetown Waterfront
    [​IMG]

4. Under Rt. 66
    [​IMG]

5. New Nationals Park - 1 (taken from public areas, park opens 3/30)
    [​IMG]

6. New Nationals Park - 2 (taken from public areas, park opens 3/30)
    [​IMG]

7. New Nationals Park - 3 (taken from public areas, park opens 3/30)
    [​IMG]

Google blocks EXIF data for some reason, but these were either taken with a 18-55 kit or 55-200 VR.

Help :hsd:

2. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Whoa. Shoot. A lot. More.
    Poor compoisition, poor subjects, no use of any rules and very uninteresting.

Go shoot a lot more - at least they're technically okay. :hs: But it seems like you just swung the camera around and took a random shot without thinking how it would look like inside your head.

3. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

I think you just need to shoot something more interesting. Like redliner said, the shots are technically fine. I like the duck the most.

4. free_notes

free_notes New Member

before you go out and shoot, think about what makes an image interesting. an 'image' can be of any media, like a painting, film scene, photo, sculpture, etc. when you can identify what makes something interesting and form an opinion about what you specifically like and don't like, your work will almost immediately go up.

i've commented on another post that there are essentially three levels of observation: identity, structure, and meaning. what a creative person does is take what any passive viewer can do (identity) and expose them to the third stage. viewers transcend from passive awareness (seeing something and moving on) to active awareness (engaging something and thinking about it). creative minds activate meaning and unfold this to an audience.

nothing in your images attempts more than documentation/identity. lots of people here like to focus on textures, like the last otap assignment, and this is basically investigating structure. getting to meaning is tricky, and often involves personal/emotional investment and an awareness of energies in the field (the field existing both in the reality in which you are working and the field of the frame).

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Great spot in the summer. Food is great and the chicks are sunbathing on the boats as they go by :)

6. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

Wow, you guys nailed it perfectly. That's exactly what I did (walked around, took pictures, little thinking). Thanks for all the feedback!