SRS Was just prescribed Lexapro for Anxiety ver. XANAX works UNDERSTAND THIS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fuzion, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

I don't see why these psychiatrists don't understand this. I've been Xanax for 3+ months and its been a godsend to me. I can function and leave my house without and panic attacks. It works fairly quickly and just gives me the edge to go about my day and get my shit done.

I don't understand why they prescribe SSRIs with worse side effects whereas the Xanax just carries possible dependency issues w/ taking it (also nasty withdrawals symptoms, ect). I'm not really clinically depressed, just depressed because the anxiety takes hold of me and I am not able to function at my best due to it.

Can't these guys just give me the shit that I know WORKS FOR ME and stop throwing worse shit my way?

:madfawk:

/rant

2. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

isnt xanax really addicting?

3. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

isnt xanax like opiate derived too

4. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

not really addicting though you do get withdrawal symptoms after prolonged use when taken off it. it works so well if you truly suffer from anxiety you will develop a dependency because its just that damn good.

5. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

no i don't believe so. its classified as Anxiolytic; Sedative; Benzodiazepines.

6. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I have friends that are very much in this class.

Never ever will I get started on that shit.

7. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

ya i understand. lots of people have been taking it for years with no more over 2mg max a day. i could definitely live off that. these SSRIs scare me though. they seem to carry more side effects over any benzo i've seen. benzo's only seem to carry dependence/withdrawal symptoms whereas SSRIs have withdrawal + other more severe side effects.

8. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

This is why you aren't a doctor. Lexapro is VERY effective for anxiety, and you won't abuse it like xanax. I took lexapro and it took care of my anxiety. It will take some time to work, it's not going to make you instantly drunk.

9. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

ya i'm gonna give it a shot. he said hell still give me xanax since i do get slight headaches / dizziness when i don't take it.

hopefully it works.

10. TheManLouisianaFace

You're going to have to give it a month at least, maybe two, but one day you'll realize that you're doing something you never would have been able to do before.

11. 2500

2500 Guest

are you still on it?

12. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

So you are taking xanax and lexapro? God help you if you decide to get off of those two in combination.

Also doesn't lexapro come with strong tendancies of suicide the first few weeks/month?

13. TheManLouisianaFace

More misinformation. When I got off lexapro the doc told me I could quit cold turkey, but to be safe, cut the pill in half for three days. And I was very suicidal at the time and it made me much better.

14. TheManLouisianaFace

I had to switch to something that would work better with my mood stabilizer (I'm bipolar.) But for general depression and anxiety it was fantastic. No side effects and weight neutral.

15. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

Ya I understand its going to take some time to reach its full potential.

However, since I started taking Xanax my general anxiety disorder has been totally stomped to the ground. And it didn't take weeks to work - the effects work in < 30m and I can continue about my day free of worry and be totally efficient.

Quick questions for you if you don't mind. After you were taken off the Lexapro was your anxiety still present? Is the new medication you are on now working just as well?

16. Capital B

Capital B New Member

I take Lexapro and have GAD, and it's worked wonders for me. I hardly ever worry about random BS anymore.

17. blackbirdbeatle

Ahh. I thought they didn't give out SSRI's to young people becasue of significantly increased thoughts of suicide for an initial period.

18. blackbirdbeatle

Can you drink while on SSRI's? Does it tax your liver too much or is it just because it affects the seratonin levels, thus the effectiveness of the drug.

19. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

You'll find drinking + SSRI's = blackouts and/or frequent memory loss.

Most people who drink when on SSRI's will be active and function okay, but will wake up with no memory of what happened the night before.

20. blackbirdbeatle

Holy fuck that's terrible. Do you get drunk faster? I'm just curious becuase I had the option of taking Effexor for something unrelated to anxiety or depression and I passed, taking the non drug route and I'm starting to think I made the right choice (Beer crew, homebrew crew, whiskey crew). Although it's an SNRI it acts in a similar way and has similar side effects.

Didn't they also find that Prozac's and similar anti depression drugs benefits were largely a placebo? I believe I read it a few months ago.

21. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

while xanax is addictive SSRIs can be just as bad if not worse. The side effects of SSRIs make them totally not worth it for me. No doctor will prescribe me xanax though so I just have to deal with my anxiety/depression like everyone else.

22. 2500

2500 Guest

lemme rephrase.....

are you still taking anything now for your anxiety?

23. blackbirdbeatle

Just to explain what I took in the place of the SSRI's and SNRI's and the things like Prozac and the like, I went on 5-HTP and Rhodiola. I took 50mg of 5-HTP in the evening and at night and Rhodiola in the morning.

I know that the above two, or maybe tryptophan in the place of 5-HTP, is just as effective, or moreso than most antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. Without the harsh side effects and at much less cost (Most health plans will cover them and all will if you have a doctors permission).

If you want a viable alternative please look into it. I know a few people that have weened themselves off of things like Paxil, etc... with ease after taking this and thier sypmtoms actually improved greatly vs. the drugs. They said it was like taking MDMA the whole day, but with full functioning.

Bonus is that there is little to no alcohol troubles.

24. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

I don't know if you get 'drunk faster', as most people drink the same and act the same. They just wake up with no memory of the night. It's not that they get so drunk they have a blackout and fall on the floor, they just do as they do normally, but something with the medication makes them forget what took place hours before they went to sleep. It affects everyone differently.

Anti-depressants will definitely have a placebo effect on people who are really wanting to get better. Those who don't believe the pill will help whatsoever will either complain about being 'numbed' out to where they have no emotion or don't think it's helped at all and try finding other ways to help their depression. Obviously the placebo effect wouldn't be as strong as the SSRI itself. I'm sure there's been many studies with giving someone a sugar pill claiming it was zoloft and giving others zoloft.

I highly recommend trying 5-HTP for those for depression. It has been studied to be just as or even more effective then SSRI's for many people with little to no side effects.

25. blackbirdbeatle

Ah I see. I've never had a blackout drunk episode before, even when I almost had to go to the hospital when I was young and stupid so the thought frightens me.

You would be surprised. I believe the studies were that a placebo was just as effective as an SSRI. I'll try to find it but my only source right now is pubmed. In it they said that while the SSRI affected the reuptake, the placebo affect actually increased the amount of seratonin, much like 5-HTP.

Yep. Tryptophan got a bad rep becuase of one tainted batch. It's actually very effective but far less effecient than 5-HTP (1% conversion to seratonin vs. 98%) and the latter is one step closer to seratonin so it makes sense. It's much like MDMA. It was a safe and effective drug but people started abusing it and making it in home labs and they banned it.

It's funny becuase most of us are depressed because of things we can change: our enviroment, friends, diet, exercise, etc.... yet we just get prescribed drugs to mask it instead of changing. I doubt there was this large a percentage of people depessed 50 or 100 years ago and the only reason why it was never an issue was becuase of diagnosing limitations.