GUN Was just given a rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1979TA, May 20, 2009.

1. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

2. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Dude, post bigger pictures, they're too small, especially on my 25" monitor.

3. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Suck my balls, you can scroll.

Respond to my post or GTFO

4. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I think you should take gigantic pictures of it. Whatever you do, don't shoot it.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Whoa. I guess I don't need to submit any input. :wavey:

6. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Here I fixed the pics for the whiners

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've got one in 222Rem. Neat rifles, though hampered with some odd quirks.

They were a predecessor to the 700's, but are more like a Model 7 in footprint. Pretty sure McMillan makes stocks for them, though you have some other issues to worry about.

The bottom metal is a blind setup, with a plastic triggerguard. Aftermarket steel examples exist, though they are somewhat pricey. The scope mount situation is kinda crappy, because of the dog-leg bolt. It has the tendency to run into the rear of the scope when lifted to full extension. 700 bolt handles are the general fix for this, but require some welding.

700/7 barrels and lugs will fit the rifle, which can give you a little more lattitude in selecting bases. Dunno who else makes mounts for them, I'm running Leupold dual dovetails. Don't go with the windage adjustable rears, they are garbage.

Triggers suck in comparison to current Remmy stuff, but I'm wanting to say Timney or Rifle Basix makes a replacement for them.

Cool rifles, but they are what they are. I personally wouldn't be inclined to dump a bunch of money in one unless it possessed some kind of crazy sentimental value. Tricked out, you will be basically rebuilding a 700.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Thanks. I can see it much better now. Wood looks like its in good condition, receiver looks like its ready to accept a rail or rings for a scope if necessary.

9. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing after getting the bolt safety issue fixed it would be nothing more than a rifle for the Gator out at the farm.

10. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Cooper liked them as a basis for a Scout setup, dunno if you're into that stuff. Honestly, if it was your dad's and it worked for him, just get a couple boxes of decent ammo if you can find it, and give it a try on the range as-is.

.243 is a good medium/light-medium caliber, handle it well and you can take anything from decent-size deer down to p-dogs.

and the 600/660 Remingtons were reputed to be quality compact actions.

Try it as-is, see if you like it. If you don't, there are options.

11. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

dude if its your dads rifle, dont eff with it. You'll look back and be like 'why did i tapco fuck this thing and make it look retarded'? Just keep it as a collector and enjoy it because it was your pops.

Build a tac rifle or whatever on your own dime.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That rifle has pretty much zero future as a tac rifle or anything crazy. Well, not unless you are wanting to spend huge $$ to turn it into a chopped up 700, that still isn't as good as an actual 700. It would be better suited to doing what you originally intended, which is a pretty good truck gun (which is the role that mine plays). Might could make a pretty decent svelte carry rifle with a decent stock on it......

They aren't bad rifles, but I agree that leaving it fairly stock would likely be the most reasonable choice of actions.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Leave the aftermarket junk for the AR's. Clean, lube, shoot and repeat.

14. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I wasn't looking to "tac" it out or anything. Just wanted to know if there were any worthwhile upgrades for it. Like I said, the first thing I need to do is send it in for the recall.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

There isn't any "tac" market really available for these. I suppose you could drop a heavy barrel on it with a McM A-5 and call that "tactical", but I'd be more inclined to just call that a heavy rifle with a good stock.

If you wanted "more" out of the gun, I'd be inclined to look at replacing the trigger first, then trying to replace the factory stock with a McM that was re-inletted from a model 7 that you would find for cheap off their specials page.....