Was in new Camaro

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Performance World is happening here in Toronto and GM had 4 new Camaros at the show. Three orange and one red. All were automatic fully loaded SSs. The Camaro/Firebird club I used to be part of had an orange one which GM put white stripes on. It looked amazing. The stripes made it look like a giant creamsicle.

So I sat in this car and the leather, seat support and general interior was phenomenal. There is most of the dash to the right of the steering wheel which is flat and stares you right in the face and the material is slightly cheap looking. Getting away from that and taking it all in I was most impressed.

This is one hell of a car. Great full gauge set and paddle shifters in this auto. The trunk is mostly useless, but I love the lines of this car.

The production unit is far better than the prototype I saw 3 years ago at the Camaro nationals in Ste. Catherines.

The brakes are massive and this orange car had gunmetal grey rims.

I believe the V6 300hp model definately is great value and the car cannot be beat in the looks department. There was a new Challenger close by and honestly it looked like nothing compared to this car.

Wait until you see one driving on the highway and you'll immediately sense its unique presence.

Thought I'd share.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds nice.

I know nobody's going to agree with me on this, but I really wish GM would offer a hybrid version of this car. (On all their cars, actually.) Even if it only adds 5mpg and even if they only sell a couple hundred with the hybrid package, it would still be a great way to get some real-world testing done on the hybrid system they're developing for the Volt. Billions of dollars of simulations can't replace a few hundred people spending a few years beating the hell out of technology in real life. It's a basic rule of engineering: the user will always break the product in unpredictable, but perfectly valid, ways.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

A Camaro Hybrid? :rofl:

Well I suppose it fits... I have seen some greenies with mullets :mamoru:

4. deusexaethera

I know a couple of people who would buy a muscle car if it weren't so blatantly irresponsible. I see nothing wrong with targeting that market, because otherwise they're just going to buy V6 Camrys instead.

Besides, it's good practice; someday there will be all-electric sports cars, so they might as well start working on how to make them appealing now, while there is still a big growly engine to take up the slack.

5. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

if they're buying a v6 camry, they never wanted "muscle".

6. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

Only deusex could post such stupid fucking ideas. Godamm, still the same

:ugh2:

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Anyway, the Camaro sounds good. I'm on the list to go drive one at some dealers here when they start arriving.

8. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

this time the mustang was locked up and the camaro was open, so I couldn't compare the two.

only thing that I thought looked weak was the gauges. increments, numbers, needles, bezels, just look too plain. maybe they look different with backlight.

challenger pistol grip is an awesome trademark, like you're in a jetfighter. they kind of fucked up the curve on the top dash where it merges in to the back curve. also kind of loose. edit: was thinking of the dodge ram.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  9. matrix243

atleast its better then a cluster set.

[​IMG]

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

In the Camaro I like the retro font used on the speedo and tach, the modern font on the SS seems really out of place with the rest of the car. I hope someone makes retro gauge faces for the car. :hs:

I've also sat in a few Challengers and liked them. Coolest looking shifter evar.

11. deusexaethera

Not really. I had a strong urge to dump my Passat and get a G8, but I just can't come to terms with the loss in gas mileage. Most of the guys at my office are in the same boat re: the G8 or the GTO or the Challenger.

Before someone points out that the extra cost of hybrid equipment could buy a lot of tanks of gas, yes it could, but it's the principle of the thing.

Anyway, I know a few people who would buy hybrid sports cars, if only they existed.

12. matrix243

hybrid+sportscar :greddy:

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Two words: Tesla Roadster.

And worrying about "the principle of the thing" is... well... :greddy2:

It all comes down to this: even a hybrid is polluting the environment, and the technology isn't proven enough for me to trust it. Plus the performance simply isn't there. I'll let the tree-hugging freaks save on carbon credits. My big V8 cars and trucks are simply offsetting their quota.

14. SilverTurtle

SilverTurtle New Member

I can't wait to hear what you think of the production car

15. Shu

Shu OT Supporter

I see a new market for Chris

16. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

The big 3 are fighting for their lives to stay in business and you want them to develop a niche vehicle?

:rolleyes:

17. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

:ugh::ugh::ugh::rofl::rofl::rofl: