COMIC Was I the only one let down by The Ultimates?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by XTREME COCKSUCKER, Mar 18, 2009.

1. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

Just finished the first volume. I guess I shouldn't have expected much, I've never been a huge Mark Millar fan. I was really enjoying it until Pym attacked his wife, it was all downhill from there. The aliens out of nowhere were ridiculous(unless they're some part of the Marvel universe I'm unaware of, which is completely possible) and it had some of the cheesiest dialogue and most contrived plot devices I've read in a long time. And I didn't like Millar's take on Hulk or Iron Man, although Captain America was a great character I thought.
    Maybe I expect too much from comic writing; sometimes it feels like I kind of spoiled myself by starting with reading pretty much only Moore and Gaiman:sad2: I really find myself having a hard time getting into the really superhero-y stuff for some reason besides Moore's and Frank Miller's Batman runs.
    Oh well, back to Preacher(which is pretty entertaining but also hasn't quite lived up to my expectations, very very cheesy:hs:).

PS: Just started Spawn after having not read it since I was like 12, shocked at how well-written it is.:coold:

And yes, I know I'm years late on this.

2. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Ultimates 2 was a much better volume. There was a little bit less deus ex machina involved, no aliens out of left field (Though they are the Ultimate version of the Skrulls.) Actually, there was a bit of deus ex at the end, but it's all good :o

3. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

If you didn't like ultimates 1 definitely do not read ultimates 3.

4. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Or maybe read Ultimates 3 just so you can appreciate any other comic.

5. XTREME COCKSUCKER

:rofl: I've heard it's horrible. Volume 2 is pretty good so far, but idk, it all just feels so cheesy:dunno: I don't like the art too much either; I feel like this is like the movie Taken: a very well done action movie that's a notch above the rest, but an action movie with not much to say nonetheless. I know it sounds like I'm being judgmental or critical of comics, but I'm not. I really do love them, I just kinda wish there was some more innovative stuff out there.

6. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Ultimates 1 and 2 is like Watchmen when compared to 3.

7. Omegaboy

Omegaboy Scuzzy Psychout Merchant OT Supporter

At the end of the day comics are still pulp material
    Frank Miller and Moore are great in the industry, show something harder..or more serious, but are not really a reflection on the entire industry.

The heart and soul of comics is monthly never-ending drama and cheese.
    they kinda come hand in hand.
    Besides..do u really want every story you read (comics wise anyway) to be mentaly and emotionaly draining?

8. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

volume 3 is terrible. ruined the characters so much. loved volume 2. the story with thor is amazing. definately made me the thor fan i am today :bowdown:

on a side note have you read Ultimate Six? it was part of the Ultimate Spiderman series. involves basically the Ultimate Universe versions of the Sinister Six. a really good story i though :dunno:

9. XTREME COCKSUCKER

Yeah, that's something I didn't really realize until I got more into comics. My first books were Watchmen, Sandman(which was an incredibly long run, but it never felt like it had many blatant cliffhangers) and TPBs like Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come. I still enjoy books like Preacher and 100 Bullets a lot as sheer entertainment, but I just sometimes wish there were more stimulating books out there, ya know?

Are there any really emotionally involving books out there I'm missing? I loved the first issue of The Ultimates, the sequence where Cap is sinking after blowing up the bomb and we're reading his letter to his fiancee was awesome. I'm a sucker for shit like that:hs: That's also something I feel like is missing from the industry: really heartfelt stuff with well developed characters. Most of the love stories seem pretty melodramatic like in Ultimates or Preacher. Are there any books out there I don't know of that are known to be really emotionally moving?

10. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

The Walking Dead.

Silver Surfer: Requiem
    Spider-Man: Reign

Civil War: The Confession made me really :( too

11. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

This whole paragraph just screams Y: The Last Man. Heartfelt and Well Developed Characters. A damn good love story. A very well developed are gripping story that will keep you guessing till the end, but without a bunch of cheesy cliffhangers. It creates a really interesting and deep world that is totally draw you in. And I would like to see anyone read the whole series and not get teary eyed with the last book. I easily put it up there with the other great works like Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. I was hooked in from the first issue, but I am a sucker for end-of-the world type stories. I have heard from others that it takes a bit to really get going for them.

Download the first few issues and give it a try. I myself went out and bought all the trade paperbacks and have them on my bookshelf next to The Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and V For Vendetta.

12. XTREME COCKSUCKER

Been meaning to grab Walking Dead. I really liked the first issue.

I've heard Silver Surfer Requiem is pretty brutal; would I get into it if I had only a cursory understanding of his mythology?

Ah, the art is kind of a turn off for me in Y The Last Man, but I'll go check it out.

Fuck catching up on all these long running series is expensive as shit; I hate reading comics on my computer:hs:

EDIT: Just realized Brian K. Vaughan is one of the writers on Y, definitely checking it out. I like his Lost work.

13. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Not just one of the writers, he is the creator and only writer.

And yeah don't let the art keep you from enjoying it. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

14. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I was a really big fan of Ultimates 1 + 2, but hated 3. To each his own.

15. devilboy

devilboy New Member

So true, I had to quote it twice. Ultimates 3 was suuuuch a letdown. I did enjoy Ultimates 1-2 though.

16. Omegaboy

Omegaboy Scuzzy Psychout Merchant OT Supporter

Seriously, try invincible

its colorful, and the action is all B-grade (you know, fighting atomic monsters and stuff like that)
    but all the people stuff is really sincere and heartfelt.

worth a shot man.
    also get your hands on We3

meanwhile Xtreme...your av is really distracting hah :big grin:

17. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

SECONDED!

18. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

:werd:

19. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

Also - Walking Dead has made me :bowdown::squint::wtc::eek3::rl::confused::mad::run:. I've never been so attached to a series. Its what got me back into comics.

Silver Surfer: Requiem is just a good read. Its what got me to like the character. I really didn't know too much about him until after i read that story.:o

20. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

I'm loving 100 Bullets obviously, and you do get kinda emotionally involved with some of the characters.

21. void

void oh yeah?

I loved the take on the characters, all of them. Thor was exceptionally done. I always hated him in the regular universe. The viking diety talking like a mideval knight was stupid, his hammer was stupid, and I hated the whole Donald Blake shove a stick in the ground bologna.

This Thor was perfect, dude is a total pacifist until shove him. No speaking like a retard, his hammer is genuinely frightening, and you don't know if he's quite right in the head until the end. On top of everything...he's a hippie. Brilliant.

22. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

I think you kinda started at the top with some heavy-hitters and now looking for something along those lines. It's very hard to get that involved in a comic if you don't read the c-grade stuff and then work your way upwards.

If you liked Brian Vaughan's stories then you'll love Pride of Baghdad. It's quite original, and something along the vein of George Orwell's The Farm, but not so politically charged or historical.
    It's about a group of lions that escape from a zoo in Baghdad and their subsequent adventures.

Another Vaughan one is Ex Machina. Again, quite some politics, but it's about a New Yorker who decides to become a superhero, then turns Mayor and his life in-between the two and beyond. Quite well written and the art is great.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is brilliant, but the rest of the stories are quite lacking in all honesty.

Fable is another good one. Little Boy Blue :wtc:

Also since Thor was mentioned, you might want to give the new Thor a shot. JMS has been doing a fucking brilliant job in reviving the character to epicness.

And if there's any comic you've got to read at all, it's Punisher MAX. Garth Ennis is a fucking God :bowdown:
    Read the whole thing (should be up on Warskrull as well) and then tell me it's not just fucking epic :bowdown:

23. XTREME COCKSUCKER

So Ultimates 2>>>>Ultimates 1

24. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

until 3 when he starts talking like an idiot :greddy:

25. void

void oh yeah?

ultimate 3 does not exist...i don't know what you're talking about. the ultimates is over after volume 2.