SRS Was Christmas gift buying stressful for anyone else?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bleed, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Bleed

Bleed New Member

This has been the core problem of my stress for the past month of my life. Especially for my girlfriend. I originally was planning on getting her a spa treatment or a trip somewhere. Only place to go would be out of the country, but I cant during xmas (since i have to be with family) and she doesnt have a passport. Spa, i figured she didnt want to go herself, nor did i feel like spending $300 on one of her friends. I personally dont like random people massaging me so I dont care for them.

So I went with the next best thing (in my opinion) which was all the DVD shows that she wanted to watch. So I got her How I met your mother (all season) and ROme (all seasons). She got mad at me and said, "DVDs!?! Thats what you get your friends. Not girlfriend!"

WTF? So now I'm sitting her contemplating a makeup gift....but I've been thinking and I'm pretty over this at this point.

2. KSNIPPY

KSNIPPY As lost as i get i will find you

sounds kinda ungreatful of her to be so pissed at what you got her for christmas.

btw :bigthumb: on how i met your mother

3. Bleed

Bleed New Member

Here's my gifts to her in the past....

Xbox 360
    Wii
    Tivo
    Some diamond necklace from someplace (don't know here but it was expensive)

Her other comment, "aren't gifts supposed to get better every year?"

(HIMYM is hilarous...barney is classic)

This is out of nowhere. She's so normal and not a pirate hooker the rest of the year but this is pretty ridiculous.

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

no; i just figure out what they need and what im spending then go from there

girls are easy

I got my gf.

a picture and frame of us. ALWAYS WORKS
    a supersoft blanket
    pedicure set
    manicure sets
    she broke her digi cam a week before xmas. so i got her a 50 dollar camera off tigerdirect (they spam me every day with sweet deals, so i bit on one)
    I got her a journey necklace from Kay Jewelers. Its fuckin sweet.

5. Yuppy

she shouldnt get mad at you for that, but yea thats a shitty gift too.

you get her a picture frame of you and her together then all is solved. (and its cheap)

my gf went

"AWwwwwwwWW"

6. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think it's because of your previous gifts being so grand. I'd at least smile and say thank you. She was probably expecting like a what you call that, gold thingie with a rock on the top :X haha probably not, but damn, when your thoughts don't count, that kinda hurts.

If it makes you feel better, my gf rarely buys me something I want or need. I still love her, I just hope one day it gets better lol.

7. KSNIPPY

yeah maybe a few dvds isnt what she was expeting considering her gifts from the past cause they do sound pretty big, but still no reason for all the hate. did you get her anything else though? in her defense a couple dvds does seem a little weak compared to her past gifts.

and truthfully, i dont think gifts are supposed to get better every year, in a way i kinda see them getting less better...

oh and barney FTMFW

8. KSNIPPY

well not less better....but less grand:o

9. Yuppy

what did she get you?

10. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

i LOL at the fact that I did not get anyone anything/and did not get anything myself.

11. Bleed

Bleed New Member

iphone.

which is ironic since i have sprint....:hs:

12. Bleed

Bleed New Member

thats why. i didnt go all out. i could have easily thrown money around, but i didnt want things to head in that direction. i really dont like buying material shit for xmas.

i really wish people would just spend xmas with family with no gift requirements. i would love it if everyone bought their own gift for christmas.

iphone? i would have been much happier with a guitar that i was looking at.

13. Bleed

Bleed New Member

i spent about $800 this year. got about $500 in shit that i dont need. merry christmas!

14. 2500

2500 Guest

she sounds ungrateful. knowing what she watches and likes shows you pay attention. thats worth something.

i got my SO:

Greys Anatomy Calendar
    Greys Anatomy Season 1 on DVD
    A Belt/tie rack
    Water Foot Massager thing
    1 Hour Deep Tissue Massage with a pro
    A CD player to bring to work
    50 States quarter thing, lol
    Oral-B pro toothbrush with the base and all the heads, lol
    Paid off some of his bills
    Piggy Bank with an ambulance and our names
    Some candys and little funny things

I learned Quality over Quantity this year. Last year, I spent well over 500 bucks and i don't think he used anything, lol. this year, i spent between 150-200 (minus his bills), but he LOVED everything and i know he'll use it all.

15. Bleed

Bleed New Member

im so sick of xmas. thats a lot of shit you bought. its such a hallmark holiday

16. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I hate shopping for myself, not to mention shopping for others

17. 2500

2500 Guest

its about giving man. lemme guess, you are either alone, or you don't have family, or your jewish, right?

plus, you spend 100 bucks on stuff someone wants, they spend 100 bucks on stuff you want, and you basically break out even and end up with a bunch of cool stuff. i made out pretty well. got a food processor, a mixer, new cutting boards, a family crest thing, money, clothes, laptop, new lizard. so, ya spend 300 here, you get 300 there, but you get the happiness of buying stuff for other people. no way i woulda bought a laptop for myself and another lizard, or a food processor, but i really wanted them all.

edit

oh wait, your the OP, no wonder you hate Xmas, lol. you bought your SO a DVD and you got yelled at. i'd hate xmas too.

18. Bleed

Bleed New Member

after talking to a few of my friends i guess it was fucked up. the dvd's were about $180.00 in value, but i guess dvds are the generic gift next to the gift certificate. anyway, i guess i need to go big on valentines day again....

sigh...

might be a good time to sneak in that ATV riding trip that I always wanted to do in San Diego (she's always down for outdoors stuff) :o

19. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Wow, my SO didn't get me anything (well he paid for a little part I had ordered in at a bike shop a few weeks ago) and I wouldn't dare say anything nearly that rude (actually haven't said anything at all). Yeah I'm maybe a little cheesed but I'm just glad he liked the gifts I got him. You need to reevaluate the girl you're dating, sounds like a spoiled self-centered bitch.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

While it was a sweet gift, I'd honestly be a little weirded out if my SO only got me DVD's...My boyfriend bought me a day at the spa and I was ecstatic. Why on earth would you assume she wouldn't want to go by herself? Does she want to be naked on a table getting a massage with her friends next to her talking? I doubt it, they are for relaxing by yourself! And why would you have to go out of the country to go on a trip? My bf surprised me with a small trip tyo Las Vegas for a few days and I thought it was a grea idea. We want to go to Europe next year.

The point is it has passed. You've learned your lesson that girlfriends don't just want DVD's usually unless they ask for them. There could have probably been a million other gifts you could have gotten her. In the meantime, tell her to get a passport anyway just in case you want to "surprise her." How old are you guys BTW and how long have you been dating?

Edit: I got my bf the iPhone this holiday...:rofl: If he only bought me DVD's in return I would be so angry, and I'm not even materialistic or petty. But fuck....

21. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

So tell people that would be buying you gifts that you don't want to do the gift thing then. Say you don't have the money or you'd rather just spend time with them or whatever. I agree with you, it's stupid and people waste way too much time and money on it. The only one I do the gift thing with is my parents. You and your gf could use the money you'd spend on gifts for each other to take a nice trip somewhere instead.