Was anyone else planning on picking up a new apple and is now kinda hesitant...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lordcoca, Jun 6, 2005.

1. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I was planning on either picking up a new Powerbook or maybe an iMac, but all this Intel business has me listening carefully. I still don't exactly understand what all this will entail, but I was planning on picking up a new computer which would last me the next 5 or so years :hs:

Can anyone simply explain to me what all this means? Say I pick up a new powerbook, will this switch to Intel mean that gradually less and less software will be available?

So...do I hold off on buying a new Apple or what? :hsd:

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Taken from the intel thread "Universal Binary Programming Guidelines will assist experienced developers in building and modifying their Mac OS X applications to run as universal binaries. Universal binaries run natively on Macintosh computers using PowerPC or Intel® microprocessors and deliver optimal performance for both architectures in a single package." It sounds like they are going to keep supporting both platforms, or at least for a few years. I am in the same situation as you, i am buying a mac in the next week or few days, i'm just going to buy it though, because

1. i want it now :o
    2. I expect that apple will support the ppc chip for at least a few years like i said earlier, and by that time i'll want a new computer anyway

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

personally I think it's silly to buy an apple product without knowing more about where the company is headed... At least what there plans for intel integration are going to be...

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

did you read or watch anything from the keynote today? :uh:

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I find it odd that just over a month ago the released a new batch of speeds for the PPC chip. So within that month they had to be well aware of going to the Intel chipsets. I hope that the PPC is supported for quite a long time.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

well...steve did say there are still more coming from IBM before the intel migration begins.

7. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Did he? Hm...that sounds promising...if there's an upgrade to the Powerbooks or iMacs before August I may end up getting them anyways :hs:

A price drop would certainly make things more attractive to me too :)

8. maczter

he, in fact, did. i'm watching the keynote now and i heard it myself, as well as read it elsewhere.

9. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I was, and still intend to buy a mac mini on saturday. Only exception is if they update it this week.

If I was looking for a machine that would last me years, I wouldnt know how to act, but the mini only needs to last me till I get a powermac in 07.

10. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Finished watching the Keynote and noticed they made it incredibly easy to compile the code for both chipsets.

So easy in fact is that when they confirm to compile the project they simply check off a box that says "Compile for: PPC, Intel" and Xcode does it.

So I'm not worried. :) Interesting Keynote tho...I wonder if the new Macs, now using a cheaper, widely used chip, will be as cheap as that developer kit. Imagine a 3.4ghz (single cpu) "G5" for $999.

11. MBC

MBC Guest

I'll still get a 12"pb as soon as I have the money

12. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I was more or less thinking about getting a mac later this year, but now not a chance. I've been hesitant to get a desktop because it's so proprietary. But being one a whole different(and pressumably better) hardware patform, it was somewhat justifiable. Of course, things aren't going so well financially these days anyway, but regardless of that, no I won't be getting a G5 now.

I have to say I'm really disappointed in apple though. I appreciate that they're going x86, as I think that will make things a lot easier in the long run, for compatibility and such. But they are apparently remaining as proprietary as ever, which sucks. I like and respect apple in general, but I hate how they are so proprietary. They really should have used this opportunity to finally focus on software and finally become a meaningful alternative to MS (3% marketshare is not meaningful). But no, they'll just stay in their little niche market without a fraction of the 3rd party support of windows. This was their chance to "come back", and they blew it. They will never be a serious contender vs dell/MS as long as they remain so restrictive. Yes, MS and dell are propretary too, but not nearly as restrictive, and that's what counts. I don't know if linux will ever really be "ready" for mainstream use, but at this point its still a lot more promising than a mac. Restrictions = suck.

I don't rule out getting another apple laptop at some point, but I think I've decided I'm going to stick to building my own desktops. I was really hope I'd be able to put OS X on said desktop someday, especially with the rumors of the x86 transition. I desperately want to have more choices of OS for my pc than Windows or Linux as I feel it's currently better than both. So it looks like I'll still have to keep using windows for the important stuff (see: games) and use linux as the occasional geek toy. Since apple has no interest, apparently, in becoming more than a tiny niche market (and thus, getting good 3rd party software support), I no longer hold especially high hopes for them. If linux can ever get as user friendly as a mac, and as well-supported as windows, I'll be set. :x:

13. teh noob

teh noob New Member

Good buy-to-be MBC. I have the older 12 inch 1.33 Ghz Powerbook. Brilliant.

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

apple is a software company whose main revenue is generated by hardware; there's no other way around that for them right now. Releasing OS X for x86 into the wild could bankrupt them if it wasn't played exceptionally well. Remember the Mac clones? The only company bleeding red ink was Apple.

And the "niche" that you appear to despise is a good part of the reason why Apple's QC is so high -- they manage the product, top to bottom. It blows in some regards like some software/hardware availability, but in total user experience I think Apple customers are better off for it.

going to x86 can only help Apple gain acceptance from more mainstream hardware/software vendors. My only gripe is that Xcode is a must to get an app onto the Mac, but that's probably the way it had to go. :dunno:

15. maczter

Don't count on it. First of all, the developers always get substantial discounts on hardware. Second, that $999 box has to be returned to Apple by the end of 2006. In other words, $999 does not buy ownership of the box, it's essentially for a lease on the box that expires at the end of 2006.

16. What do they do if you don't return it?

17. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Break your kneecaps.

18. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Yes, but theoretically they could sell that Mac w/that chip for cheap by the time they start trickling out next year.

Entice them with the $500 mini, introduce them to the $800 3.6ghz iMac, hook them on $2k dual 4ghz G6. :)

19. violator

violator New Member

i use to get a new mac every four years... 94, 98, 02...

but now i'm absolutely going to wait until i see what the intel switch truly means... for all i know leopard will have some feature that will require an intel processor...

20. Skoles

Skoles Guest

That would hurt them more than help.