SRS Was anyone else embarrased go to a therapist/psychiatrist

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigunitsnake, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Bigunitsnake

Bigunitsnake Nope

I get the feeling of embarrassment when i think about going to see a doctor. I ask for help from my rents but the idea kinda just brushes off. I find it super hard for me to actually commit to the doctor myself and go through it with out someone else helping me. Anyone ever deal with that problem? Maybe its just denial on my part but :ugh: Maybe its just a part of my problem i want to see a doctor for. BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

go to one thats the same sex as you and not some stuck up old person. Get a recommendation from your general doctor.

3. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

see a therapist first, if you need a psychaitrist, they'd be able to recommend one to you.

That's the most practical advice there.

Try it once... see what they say. What would you really lose? a little $$ and an hour of your life? Come on, we spend more time on OT than what a therapy session would cost :rofl:

4. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i love going. i look forward to it. you get to talk about yourself for a whole hour!

try out therapists to find one you like. i agree with getting one who is young enough for you to relate to.

5. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Why do you find it hard to commit? Do you have trouble opening up to people, or do you have problems with the stigma of seeing a therapist? Or something else?

6. Bigunitsnake

Bigunitsnake Nope

I dont know what the problem is. I get kinda "scared" of doing things that involves shit i dont know. When those situations come i try to find ways out of it or just flat out ignore it and hope it goes away. Anxiety maybe who knows.

7. Bigunitsnake

Bigunitsnake Nope

Nothing to do about money.

8. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

That sounds like stereotypical generalized anxiety disorder. I know, I have it. It's very tough to get over, but I've found the best way to help yourself is to absolutely FORCE yourself to go do what you need to do. You'll see it's not that bad in the end. If you can get in a habit of forcing yourself it'll come naturally soon after. There have been days when I've been so worried about taking a test I've considered not even going and pretending it never happened.

If you force yourself into 2 or 3 meetings with a therapist, (s)he'll probably work on some cognitive-behavioral therapy with you, which will "restructure" the way you think about anxiety-causing situations. It really does work! If you need more help than that, you may be prescribed an anti-depressant like Lexapro or Celexa. It doesn't sound like you have a terrible case so I wouldn't expect anything hard like the benzodiazepines. If you really need to talk about what to expect with someone, I'll PM you my AIM. I'm a psych major, possible future psychiatrist, and I've been on the receiving end of therapy, so it might help for you to talk to me.

9. Bigunitsnake

Bigunitsnake Nope

Yea the not going to class thing pretty much caused me to fail/drop out of college. I would get to the class and 5 min before i would just talk my self out of going. This isnt the only reason id go to see someone but its the main reason im having trouble going. Its easy to talk about here because its kinda anonymous but actually doing it is hard as hell.

10. stolid_agnostic

stolid_agnostic One who is both stolid and agnostic. Get a diction

do you become nervous about being in class? i used to get these strange paranoid feelings about situations like that - couldn't do things like lunch lines and whatnot - was afraid that I would get in trouble even though that was not a possibility

sounds like you'd get there and then would get scared enough to leave before it started

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

YES!! I was super embarrased!

When I was 18 my brother died and my entire family went to see this one shrink. Not at the same time...lol...at different times but everyone went to see him. Except me.

I said, "I don't need that guy" but what I was really thinking was holy shit...what if my friends found out I'm seeing a psychiatrist??? THey prolly wouldn't have cared but that didn't matter, I cared.

Growing up I've always felt really differnt than other people. I don't know why I thought I knew how they felt....I just really knew I was different. Eventhough I was often told how "normal" I was. Anyways, the last thing I wanted was to be percieved as being more different and therefore going to a shrink was out of the question.

However, as I aged I really wanted to work on some stuff. When I finally went to see this same shrink my whole family had seen, so many years earlier, I told him that I really didn't want to see him but I needed help. I even told him how proud I was that I got through my bro's death without his help while the rest of my family was just weak. lol.....you know what he said??? He said, "Isn't it nice to finally know that you're only human after all...not super human?" I was floored. I couldn't believe it...I thought he would be pissed at me for being confrontational (which I was when I said it) but instead he was totally right and caught me totally off guard. That was when I thought I had a guy I could really work with.

He ended up helping me in ways that I never thought possible. I'm glad I didn't let my fear control me.

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sounds like my old fears. They went something like this, "Oh my god, I don't know what's going to happen to me, or when, or where but something is going to happen to me and it's going to be BAD!" The way through this is to not listen to your fears.

I've heard it said that fear is just an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real. IN other words, you don't even need to consider your fears anymore.

Now obviously...some fears are healthy but most can be completly ignored.

One of my best lessons in overcoming my fears was after I had a car wreck where I was almost killed. In fact, the paramedics and firemen said they've pulled many people out of cars that were wrecked as bad as mine but the ocupants didn't survive. My fear....having to drive again. Since it was very close to being a head on collision, I was terrified to drive in the Left Hand Lane.....I mean I would literally tense up and breath really shallow.

So how did I overcome it?? I prayed and then just went about my business. I had to realize that I control my emotions, not the other way around. How silly would it be if I let this fear control me??? I would never, ever be able to drive in the Left Hand Lane again. Nope...not me.

I made up my mind that I was going to keep driving in the LHL until I wasn't affraid to drive in that lane....then it was OK NOT to drive in that lane. After a little time....I was fine. There are still times I get a shock of panic or a flashback but I just talk myself through it....similar to how I do when I've had a bad dream.

One can overcome many fears if they really want to. However, most people think their fears should be listened to and avoided.

I've heard it said and I belive it that, "Courage is not acting in the absence of fear. Real courage is taking action in spite of fears presence."

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If he's good, he's probably going to want to work on that with you !

14. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

No, it is like routine, hop in, walk in the elevator, up 3 floors, walk in, blah blah blah, (telling him about ADD or whatever, how it effects school), walk out with my script.

Fuck, you might have more serious problems.

You just tell them. It is their job.

I might have been embarrassed my first time... I cannot remember.

Who cares though

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

No, I was embarrassed to tell friends....so I didn't and then I got over it.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i had no issues. in fact, i been thinking about going back for some stuff :(

17. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I haven't gone to see one and the reason is because I feel embarassed as well. :o

18. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

The hard part for me was actually taking the initiative to make the appointment. I was never embarrased to go but I put it off forever out of both laziness and probably a little nervousness.

19. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

I've been putting off seeing a doctor for the referal to see someone for three months now. It's ridiculous. It's just such a hassle getting there and everything. Not doing too well, haven't felt up for it. Postponded several appointments but I have another one coming up and I finally asked for help getting there. Maybe it'll get things in motion, it better.