MIL Wartime reporters

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Morton, May 13, 2005.

1. Morton

Morton New Member

What do you guys think about 'em.

Personnelly, I think the only good thing about them is the entertainment value when they shit they're pants everytime they hear a noise. Otherwise they can suck a big one.

I remeber once during Iraqi Freedom, they reported that we had a tap on Sadam's phoneline. That tap was probobly rendered useless when sadam's people watched the news that night.

2. pimp

pimp semperfidelis.com

They can go fuck and un-embed themselves for all I care.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I don't like most of them. The stories they write are usually the typical college-educated liberal view of a war up close - as seen from their office safely within the green zone.

The very best war correspondent I know of is Michael Yon. He's a freelance journalist/writer. http://www.michaelyon.blogspot.com/

4. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Oh please with this attitude about hating military reporters.

You all work for the US government, and the US government works for the people. Therefore, the people oversee the US government and YOU, and the way they oversee you is through the eyes of reporters.

You hate reporters because they're your supervisors who report to the boss about your fuckups. The fact that reporters are embedded is already a conflict of interest that you should be happy about-- it's more difficult to get the people in trouble who are responsible for your life and whom you've bonded with.

5. Ranger-AO

I've seen some funny posts on OT today, but yours is the funniest! :rofl:

6. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

:hay:

7. pimp

pimp semperfidelis.com

rofl at them being our BOSSES. :rofl:

8. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Sorry to burst your bubble, but whoever pays your wage is your boss. The people pay taxes to fund your job, and are therefore your boss. Nothing too complicated there. Reporters are the only way for your wage-payers to know what is happening.

9. Ranger-AO

Riiiiiight... Keep telling yourself that.

The military answer to their chain-of-command. For Active Duty, that goes up through the Joint Chiefs, the Secretary of Defense, and the President. YOU, however, can be tossed in jail for wandering around on a military base without the express permission of the military. :mamoru:

And embedded reporters are along for the ride solely at the local Commander's discretion. He can give a reporter his walking papers any time he wants and the reporter has zero say in it.

10. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Actually I'm in the military too, so I doubt they'd toss me in jail for being at work. :fawk:

Of course we answer through the COC, but who do you think the President is supposed to represent? Although it's not that way right now, he should represent the will of the people.

11. Ranger-AO

then you should know better. since when do you take orders from Joe Nobody on the street? It's a stupid analogy with no correlation to the real world.

12. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Obviously not directly. But if every blow joe on the street wants its military to defend them from an invading country, it's the mils job to do it, no? We exist for the people, to protect them.

13. Ranger-AO

This is the first post you've made in this thread that I can agree with. :hs:

14. Fearan

Fearan Guest

It's another way of saying the exact same thing as the other posts in this thread.

Yes of course Joe isn't our employer directly, but hell he's paying our wages and has the right to know what's going on.

15. ethyl

ethyl R-CH2-CH3

I'm helping pay for some crackhead and her baby in California on welfare... am I her boss indirectly too? :noes:

16. Ranger-AO

I agree that Joe Public has the right to know what his military is doing. I don't agree that this gives a reporter a license to tag along with the troops and look for the most negative slant possible to write an article that is derogatory to the troops who are faithfully carrying out the mission that Joe Public has sent them to do.

Call me biased, but somehow that just doesn't seem right to me. Of course, reporters should report on abuses like Abu Ghraib when they happen. We, the people, need and deserve to know about this because abuses like that will place our soldiers and civilians in danger for decades to come. But don't look only for those types of things to report on. Also report on the day-in and day-out work that our soldiers are doing. Also report on the times they place their own lives in danger in order to protect the innocentt. Also report on the abuse our soldiers put up with from the armchair quarterbacks back home who would rather second-guess their every single move than actually do something real to make a difference in the world.

:squint: okay. I'm done. /rant

17. Fearan

Fearan Guest

You're right about that. But if what reporters report is right is a different issue than if they should be allowed there.

18. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

No, this is retarded...

Here, I'll give you another anology that maybe you can understand.

IBM is a publically owned company. The shareholders own it. I own 1000 shares of IBM. Me and thousands of other people own the company. IBM employees, however, do not take order from me, they take them from the CEO, and if I try to walk into IBM headquarters, I probably will be arrested.

This doesn't change the fact that I and thousands of others still own the company and everyone, from the CEO all the way down to the mailroom clerk, work for me.

Similarly, everyone in the army works for the American people. The American people are like the shareholders. That fact isn't changed because the American people don't directly order around soldiers or because Joe Blow American can't walk on to a military base.

This is all predicated on the notion that the government and the military serve the people, not the other way around. If it were the opposite, you'd have a fascist state.

19. Ranger-AO

Do you love to see the words you type on the screen this much, or did you just fail to read the rest of the thread after the post you quoted? :rolleyes: