Warranty vs. DIY

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boogieman117, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

My Sager 8790's optical drive finally failed on me last night.

I called up Phillips today (thank goodness for the 3 year warranty until 11/07), and got a claims number and they said they'd send a technician out to take a look at my machine.

I'm in the 20678 and 20657 region of the country, and I'm 99.9% sure that there's no tech within 50 miles of me. They also recommended that I ship the machine to Micromedics for repair.

I hung up the phone nicely, and starting searching here and the Notebookforums, Notebookreviews, and Google to get an idea on how Micromedics does their customers. What I'm finding is horrifying. Extensive wait times, packing problems from them, new problems upon receiving a 'repaired' machine, and 1 reply on resellerratings.com that was very bad.

So now I'm at a crossroads. I have a laptop with a bum drive. I have the service manual that I 'found' online and feel confident in my skills to replace the drive myself if I ordered the correct one from Newegg, or another site. But, this would mean that I'd spend $$ on the new drive when I should be sending it in and having others repair it for free minus the shipping probably I'm at work typing this, so I don't have the machine in front of me for Level 2 Support to walk through the troubleshooting process with me.

- Can I demand that they ship it to another company, aside from Micromedics?
    - If not, should I go ahead and attempt to swap the drives myself? Like I said, I have the Service Manual. For reference, I uploaded it to share:
    [​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Boogieman117

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just be careful with what you buy -- laptop drives are NOT a standard size.

If you get the right size and interface then just do it yourself.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

If it doesn't void the rest of your warranty and they won't let you ship it to another company I would do it myself.

4. Boogieman117

That's what I'm working on now is comparing the current drive with others to make sure the damned thing will fit.

I've also never seen the back of a laptop's optical drive, so I'm not sure on what the power plug-in looks like for my model.

---Edit---

I went Newegg'ing for a new drive, this is what I came up with..

When I consider how much it would cost to ship + insurance to Micromedics (if I take that route), it will be less then $60 (new drive price + tax shipped). I just have to call Phillips, let the monkey on the other line decide that my drive is officially dead, and ask him about buying a new drive and if it would void the warranty.

Orge, think this would work? Do you have any suggestions for the size specs of my current Toshiba drive?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't recommend it, no.

6. Boogieman117

Judging from my dimensions for my laptop, what kind of drive would you suggest I get? I'm not expecting Phillips to fulfill my request for them to send me a drive, per other laptop message boards.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I do not suggest that you do this; therefore I will not be offering any suggestions for drives.