Warranty Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Labster, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I just got my Yamaha 600r back in mid Feb. Anywaymthe #1 cylinder isn't firing. So I took it into the dealership because I have a warranty through them on it for 2 years even though I bought it used. The guy said that I have to pay them $75 to diagnose the problem and that the problem might not be covered under my warranty. Is it me, or is that pretty shaddy? I've put just over 1800 miles on it since buying it. Did they sell me a POS?

Edit: Got a call today saying that the cylinder isn't getting any gas. I already knew that and told them that. Then the guy told me that I hadn't ridden the bike very much and that the carbs might be clogged because of the bike sitting. I know that 1800 miles isn't much in 6 months but I run the bike at least twice a week even when it's not being ridden. I think they're just giving me the run around because they want me to pay them $350 to clean my carbs. I'm not gonna stand for it and tomorrow I'm calling and complaining they I was sold a bad machine.

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Chances are you signed something that stated you accept the bike in its condition and that they won't be liable for anything.

You may need to look over the warranty you got and see what it does and does not cover. Carb cleanings, while not usually a part of routine maintenance, do need to be done from time to time.

If you did pay them, they should know what the problem is. If they are saying it *might* be clogged carbs, ask them if that is it or not. You paid them to diagnose the bike, get your money out of them.
    Don't accept what they are saying without a definite answer.
    Ask them very frankly; "Are the carbs clogged or not?"
    Then ask if cleaning the carbs will fix the problem.

You need to get a straight answer from them AND get everything in writing.
    Read that warranty.

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Read the warranty and carb cleaning isn't covered. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them telling me that because I only put 1800 miles on the bike that it's my fault that the carbs are plugged because it wasn't ridden enough. The bike never sat without at least being run for more than 3-4 days. I think they're just trying to get money out of me. I think that the carbs were already dirty from sitting in their warehouse from before I bought it and that they never fully checked over the bike like they claimed to have done.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

if you signed the document stating that you accept it as is, you have no legal recourse.
    call an attorney if you want, but you'd be better off spending that money on getting the carbs dialed properly.

live and learn.

5. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Update on what happened. They ended up only charging me $200 to get the carbs cleaned and to do a full inspection on the rest of the bike. Originally it was going to be somewhere around $350+ so I thought that I'd take the price break and live and learn.