A&P *warning- SLR newbie* What am I doing wrong? (pic inside)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

Canon 300D

I am just trying to play with the settings a little.....I wanted to go expirement with the shutter speed. I put the settings on TV, and reduced the shutter speed alot. The camera was stationary, I assured it never moved. I can only figure this has something to do with white balance or ISO, but thats a guess. FWIW it was overcast when I took this picture today. I played with the white balance and it had no affect.

[​IMG]

2. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

looks good for a 300D image :o

yeah, might want to actually learn how to use a camera before buying a digital SLR

3. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

your shutter is too slow. Keep trying you'll get the hang of things.

4. Frank N. Beans

If I want I can use the full auto and take some good pics, but I bought it to LEARN. God damn there are a bunch of Joo's in here. I bought a 300D, not a 20D. Besides if I decide I dont like it, I can easily sell it and not lose much.

I don't typically read manuals anyways, I learn on my own. I know its a hardheaded way to do stuff, but it works for me. :ugh2:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

You've gone beyond the maximum aperature. To get this shot, you need the lowest iso setting and then set the shutter speed to a low setting and move it around from there. It'll have some type of indication when the max aperature has been reached and you need to back off from there.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

Its funny, everytime someone wants a decent cam to learn on everyone says to get a 300D or D70, but when they have questions about it they get flamed.

Its really funny because those doing the flaming have barely any knowledge to begin with

7. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

And granted the 300D is more than a used SLR, but you get instant feedback on what you are doing right/wrong and most likely can learn quicker because of it. Plus you dont have to pay for film/developing on pictures that you wouldn't want others to see :o

8. mojito

mojito New Member

so everyone should go take classes then buy the equiptment? Did you take a class on how to print a picture? The same could be said for that, look through all the various photo forums and see how many people have color management issues, but if you suggested them taking a class, you'd be burned alive.

Most people don't have time to take classes and just want to enjoy themselves. Even if you read the manual, the chances of you remembering what the overexposed indicator looked like you be slim to none.

9. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

You're coming across as a total ass. The guy's just asking for advice.

10. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

When I got my 300D I just sat here with the tripod fannying around with the same shot over and over, varying the appeture and shutter, etc. Soon as you realise what effects what with the camera you'll be okay. As long as you don't turn the ISO up to 1600, boy that sucked when wandering around :big grin:

11. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

To get the flow of the water to look smooth etc you need to shoot either when it's sunset or sunrise. From the looks of it you shot during the daytime that makes it very difficult to get the shot you are going for.

Examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I shot these around 5-6pm when the sun was barely above the horizon so that I could shoot at the lowest ISO (100 in my case) and get at least a 2 second shot without having to worry about the shot being overexposed. However, you could get away with shooting in the daytime if the waterfall you are shooting is in the shade.

If you haven't done so already, pick up a circle polarizer...they aren't that expensive and man does it help out in the daytime. In a nut shell, it'll kill glares off of windows and stop down the shot enough to help (assuming you know how to use the camera, lens, and filter in tandem) get rid of blown out areas.

You're on the right track with the shot but just doing it in the wrong conditions. Pardon the rambling, I went and play 2 rounds of golf today and the sun kicked my ass....as did the dozen or so beers.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

what's up with the copyright watermark?

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

14. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Playing around with an effect in photoshop on those shots. CTL A makes it come out more.

15. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i deleted some posts and sent him a warning

please let me know if there are any more issues if they arise^^

16. Sulaco

Sulaco prying open my 3rd eye

Lot's of jerks in here. Ignore them.

You just need to learn about proper exposure.

Buy this book and read it. When you get done , read it again. Trust me, it will change your life.

Good luck.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

I'm sure your high school photography class back in 85 gave you everything you ever needed to become a professional photographer, with a full introduction to digital photography :rolleyes:

I really hope you never need any help, because no on here will ever do anything for you.

Why waste money on a film slr only to convert later to a dslr? If you are someone like myslef where you are testing very specific things like different fill flash ratios mixed with ambient light and you're proccessing the same day you shot and know what to look for than film is fine. For most tohers that are just fukking around digital gives a huge advantage with instant feedback once you learn how to use it.

Go back to dpreview or where ever else you go and leave those actually trying to improve themselves alone

18. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i've deleted more of his posts, but i'lll leave some of the replies to him alone for now unless you guys would like it all deleted cause it spams :o

thanks guys :)

*two weeks ban was also issued for multiple warnings and rude replies to warnings :o :hs:

19. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Or you can set the lense to high F depending on light conditions...

The light meter is there for a reason...

Most people cant tell the correct settings by the light, unless they've been shooting for ages.

20. mojito

mojito New Member

The thing about setting it to F/29 or whatever the highest F stop is, is that its ahrd to get a real tact sharp picture. I wouldn't ever purposly set it past F/16, but sometimes you have too. ND filters would help this problem out, but selecting the best time of day is the best option, as the quality of light is different. Sunsets have a great warm tone, and majic hour is really cool with very flat lighting

21. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I've really never had to set aperture past F8 in few years now.

Film speed and shutter options give enough flexebility not to really worry about F-stops.

ISO 200 film + F5.6 + 1/30s exposure would work for that pic most likely ( my educated guess, by no means accurate :o)

22. mojito

mojito New Member

that looks like its direct sunlight, so probaly early afternoon. If its iso was even at its lowest, 100, than he'd be looking at 1/100 @f/16 for a proper exposure. To get down to 1 sec, 1/2, 1/4 etc to get a flowing type shot he'd have to have a pin hole size aperature.

23. Frank N. Beans

Thats exactly what I was looking to come out with.

Thanks for the tips guys........I know what to mess with next time I am out. :wiggle:

24. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

Crank it out to F/29 if you have too

25. Frank N. Beans

You refering to my picture? If so.......it was taken around 5pm........very overcast.........to give a comparo, I was trying to get the "smooth" affect, but took some pics in full auto mode to have something to compare to. Here is a pic from the same point, in full auto.....

[​IMG]