WAR is coming

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by raand, Jul 30, 2008.

1. raand

raand New Member

Just thought I would throw this out there that Warhammer online is closing in on us. I have read multiple sources that say a September release date is highly likely. so I am assuming that open beta is coming quick too. Anyone else really excited to get this game rolling?

2. raand

raand New Member

Also they just released system requierments on there website

3. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

As a beta tester I can also say that if they shoot for a September release, it will be a premature release. There's still a lot of things that need work. :hs:

4. raand

raand New Member

ah well most games have there issues and a lot can be done between now and then. I just want into the beta

5. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Mythic should have never removed 4 classes and the other capitals. They're starting to rush their game after taking the time they need for 3+ years and it's going to fuck up their release and cause massive backlash once the public sees how unpolished the game really is. I blame this on EA as it's entirely feasible that Mark Jacobs or Paul Barnett went to the investors and told them they need another 6+ months to fully complete the game, but EA told them to push it out in it's current form to beat the WotLK release.

6. quit yer bitching, what mmo is released complete. None are. Plus the classes being removed really doesn't effect much since you are supposed to travel around and check out the other racial lands. No tank for dark elf? No problem! There will be plenty of Chosen and Black Orcs in the dark elf land to group with. But yea I don't think a September release date is plausible unless the new beta build is 1000 times better. I will finish downloading today and will check it out.

7. raand

raand New Member

I think you are wrong, They made a smart decision to pass on broken classes that they have said multiple times they could not make work. Also, having one city and multiple fortresses will increse the server dynamic and the keep the RVR interesting. They will release the other cities as time goes on, but initialy there will only be two. I am a firm believer that this was a smart choice. They have chosen to release solid content rather than releasing weak content that they did not believe in. 3+ years is a long time and a ton of commitment and money so to extend again I think would hurt them more than help them. People want WAR and everyone I have talked to is just as excited even with the things that have been removed. If you look at it truly Mythic is being smart and only releasing what they can stand behind and they said in a video or two that waiting till all the cities were done would be at least one more year, which would not work out well for them at all. Be realistic they are still a business and they still need to make money.

8. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Looking forward to it, but expecting epic failure.

9. raand

raand New Member

I hate it when people say shit like that with no backing...

Why do you think that it will fail? And have you even been following it...

It will be a great change from wow and aside from that a great game with a vast amount of content.

10. Wthermans

No MMO is complete, but removing classes and features that have been a part of the game since conception is fucking retarded and just shows how Mythic is haivng to rush the end of the beta and it's a bad foot to begin a release on. As is removing racial-capital cities from the game. Why do Dark Elves or Greenskins want to defend Chaos lands? There's no emotional incentive for them to defend those lands. It all comes down to Mythic being unable to manage their development time and as such they have only gotten the Inevitable City and Altdorf into decently polished form.

What they NEED to do is delay the game another 6 months and spend that time on the features they announced and have hyped for 3+ years. Anything less than that will lead to the general public seeing that WAR is becoming another AoC release and will lead to higher sub numbers than DAoC ever had, but nothing close to WoW's following (which despite what MJ says, is exactly what he and the investors want). No investor wants an MMO that barely breaks 1-2 million subs, they want the 5-10 million number that WoW is pulling and until they stop releasing unpolished shit, will never be achieved.

11. Wthermans

Failure as a MMO as a whole? No. Failure in comparison to WoW's subscription numbers? You bet your sweet ass.

12. Wthermans

The sad thing is the class they were having trouble with in Beta (Magus) is still in the game, but the class that everyone loved and the only problem they had was simplicity is taken out (Choppa/Hammerer). I can understand removing KotBS and the Black Guard as those had relatively little beta time (even though the KotBS was a mirror of the Chosen), but the removal of core classes like the Choppa and Hammerer is just stupid. The only reason I've been able to find a reason for their removal is that Mythic wants each class to have an interesting dynamic and the Choppa/Hammerer were too basic for their liking. Too bad they fail to realize that some people enjoy basic classes and those classes draw new players into your game and are easier to balance as a whole.

13. raand

raand New Member

.... I wish i could take your beta slot i hate you that much

14. Koltas

Koltas OT Supporter

I don't expect MMOs to be perfect on release, balance or otherwise. I do expect them to have all of their features and content working properly and without rampant crashing/bugs all over the place.

Like I said, the game still needs work before release. I'm looking forward to it, but not betting the house on its success at launch.

15. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

the game fucking blows

16. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Eh. Every MMO sounds great when it's not out yet. Now with the news that they're being pressured to push the game to the market before they feel they're done with it makes me have even less hope.

Blizzard always has the best games because they don't rush them out. If it's not ready then they aren't shipping it.

It's possible that it will be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

17. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I agree with this.

WAR has enough name recognition and an experienced enough developer group that it WILL succeed. As time goes on it will gain a higher and higher player base. Once the player base gets high enough Mythic can release the other 2 capital cities at a time when:

1. The player base is dense enough to fully enjoy them.
    2. They're fully fleshed out and completed.

As for classes, I've always felt it should be the developer's prerogative to simply axe classes that don't work, even after they've been added. SWG would have done a lot better if Jedi had been axed 3 weeks after introduction instead of trying to fix them and winding up ruining the game.

18. Wthermans

That's fine if the classes don't work, but the classes they removed have been shown to do fine and the ones they've had trouble with in the past (Magus) are still in game. The only classes that were removed that weren't beta tested are the Black Guard (which is really just an offensive Ironbreaker) and the Knight of the Blazing Sun (which is a defensive Chosen). Hammerer and Choppa were too "basic" for Mythic even though they were some of the most popular classes in beta testing last year and there's been a fairly large outcry that there is no "basic" class in the game to draw players who are new to the MMO genre into the game.

As for the cities, they should have finished what they started and if they were concerned about spreading the RvR population, they could have shut 2 of the cities to attack, but still allow the defending players to visit the city and fool around in the dungeons in them. As it stands, city raids are going to be pretty boring after the first 2-3 times since there will be no change of scenery and no new tactics or environments to utilize and enjoy. Hopefully they get the cities released within 3-4 months of release so that RvR doesn't turn stale.

19. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

In regards to the classes, you've pretty much made Mythic's case. If every other class is specialized and geared towards filling a niche in both the PvP and PvE environment, then having hordes of some basic 'jack-of-all-trades' class would imbalance that.

As for the RvR, I did Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin more times than I care to count, even if I was counting by 10's. It was always new and always fun. The city raids, from what I've read, are going to be 10 fold larger in scale and far more dynamic - as well as having persistent effects on the realms.

I don't see myself getting bored of the PvP in War, which includes freaking siege warfare (zOMG) in the few months it'll take them to finish fleshing out the other 2 cities for release.

20. raand

raand New Member

GO DO SOME RESEARCH to finish the cities they have said it would have taken almost one to two years which is way to long for a company to keep making a game. Have you ever played a MMO on release there are always issues and cutbacks, but sometimes they just leave shit there to leave it there. by cutting the useless crap out that wasnt working they are making the game better. I dont understand why anyone would complain when a game dev chooses to make a game better. Yah a little content is gone or will not be out right away, big fucking deal. If you have followed the game at all, through website and the rest of the web there is a ton of other amazing things than a couple of missing classes and cities... like I said you dont like it dont play it go back to WOW or whatever you enjoy but I think WAR will succeed and I think that because the devs care and EA has not managed to fuck it up at this point.

Betas are Betas they are never perfect, if you have ever beta tested before almost all games look like shit in beta, and many of the shitty betas succeed in the end.

WAR is coming and I cant wait
    http://war.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=28440
    ^ a video talking about a possible release soon

21. Fry Guy

Fry Guy OT is serious business

i'm praying this isn't the 2nd coming of aoc. that game was epic fail.

22. Wthermans

Whoa whoa whoa, this is not my Batman glass

Who said anything about the simple classes being "jack of all trades"? They fill a specific roll like the Marauder (melee dps), Mythic just couldn't find a "special dynamic" like how the Marauder morphs his arm and as such dropped the class due to their lack of creativity. The truth is that a lot of players don't give a fuck about special dynamics as long as the class is fun to play. In fact, IMHO, a lot of the "special dynamics" make classes less fun to play (such as the Shaman, if I want to dps, then let me focus on dps instead of mixing dps and healing spells---even if noone need healing). There's a large outcry for these basic classes that fill their archetype role, but are still simple to play. Now the options for those people are gone only because Mythic can't think of some lore-based mechanic to make the class appear fun on paper. Basically they're trying to fix something that's not broken (aka removing classes that were fine in previous beta tests in order to spend more time on classes that were giving them problems). The mechanics are ingame and balanced for the classes they removed (minus the Black Guard), but they'd rather spend time trying to balance the Warrior Priest and Magus (which Mythic has previously stated that balancing them is equivalent to walking the edge of a sword).

Also, city raids are PvP-PQ centric so after you finish the PQ once or twice, it will become stale just like every other PQ in the game that is empty aside from the first few days of play.

23. Wthermans

With Mythic's new attitude of "we'll release this game by the end of the year whether it's ready or not", I'm highly doubting this will be the second coming of WoW that many people (including myself) were expecting. It's going to be a nice change of pace, but depending on how Blizzard does sieges in WotLK, WAR could be nothing more than something to kill time before the WoW expansion comes out.

24. raand

raand New Member

you are falling short and making a lot of assumptions.. You assume that they are only not releasing the classes because they couldnt make them cool? They have said that there was more to it than that. They said the classes just didnt fit the game dynamic and could not be balanced enough to make them useful

25. Wthermans

As a longtime player of DAoC and a Veteran subscriber to the newsletter (read I followed the game news before the newsletter was ever publicized), I've read and experienced a large part of the game. There are some interesting things in the game (the ToK is something that's pretty cool and every MMO should have), but given the removal of core ideas and concepts that have been a part of the development process since release, it pains me to see Mythic's change of attitude in regards to their development process.

As another poster said, a large reason why Blizzard games are so successful is that they don't release the game until it's in a solid state and after experiencing WAR through tradeshows and beta, I just don't feel that it's in that state. As such, WAR will not be a WoW-killer as many have come to think. It's going to be very similar to the AoC launch (although I predict more people will stay with WAR in the long run), but it won't reach the level that the hype was building at.

As for the city completion, I agree they are far behind on their development schedule, but that's no reason for them to cut central concepts, ideas and classes from their game. What happened to the "we'll release the game when it's ready" mantra? Sure they're still a business and need to make money, but I'd wager to say that they're losing more in the long run than waiting another 6 months (which is really all they need to get the other cities up and running---based on the Altdorf/Inevitable City development timeline).

Finally, it's funny that you think I should go back to WoW or "whatever game I enjoy" simply because I'm disappointed in Mythic's change in their development. In fact, I'd say I'm more committed to making this game enjoyable than you as I'm not swallowing the sugar-coated information they're spoon-feeding the fanboys. There are serious issues with the way WAR development is being treated and I'd like to see those corrected in order to make a decent MMO even better.