wants to make a web app

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Jun 21, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I'm impressed with certain web-apps, and building a shiny, well-working web-app is something I'd love to give a rattle.

I don't want to spend a lot of time on it, so nothing serious will result. I have two ideas - an address book (may be redundant), and a space for teams to post fixtures/results, see championship layout, send emails/texts out to players for training notification, more shit.

They're basic, but I have applications for them both and they might stand to me in the future. I have thus far nothing (shiny) to show off my uber skillzors.

If I had a fair portfolio of projects like this, would it be useful to get me a job with a software company in the (far) future? Would certs? I'm not going for a degree in computers, but (don't laugh) business studies. (unless I miss my points) I rekon a computers degree would land me a shit job, and it would start off so boring. There is not one appealing course in this country.

Last but not least, what languages should I be using? I might need to learn Python anyhow, does anybody use it for this kinda stuff?

edit: also something I must learn is about good user interface. What will teach me?

All brainfood appreciated.

edit: for the record, for more-major project plans I will be needing to make far bigger web-apps, namely a software/package manager, that's why I want to do this right.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Personally, I found PHP to be easy to jump into if you're familiar with coding at all...so IMO, I'd start with PHP.

3. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If you're looking at Python, check out the Django framework.

4. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

I would start with PHP but make sure you enable warnings when you run your code. Sometimes small errors take a while to debug b/c you get unhelpful HTTP server errors, or just nothing outputs. Perl is similar. Warnings will tell you of any problem before they snowball into something bizarre.

If you feel eccentric, you could start with Python. It seems to be picking since frameworks like Django, Zope and Pylons (?) became popular.

Stay away from Ruby on Rails though!!!!

5. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Python isn't that eccentric, plenty of sites use it. Google runs it's massively scalable App Engine with it. There aren't as many shared hosting providers for Python as there are for PHP, but you can find them.

The language choice basically comes down to what you want to do with it. If you need to integrate existing software into your site, like a CMS, look at what language that software is written in. If you're building from scratch, make note of the functionality you need. Check to see if the language provides this natively (and how well it is implemented), or whether third party libraries are needed.

In regards to good user interface in web applications, that's not really up to the server side language you choose (beyond speed). You'll want to look into HTML, CSS, and Javascript for this, and possibly Flash (I would recommend getting a solid foundation in the first three to begin with).