A&P wanting to try photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by REDandBLACKpack, Mar 4, 2008.

1. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

I have always wanted to try photography as a hobby but never have. However, I know have some extra cash laying around that I could waste on something so I am thinking about picking up a camera and maybe trying some photography. However, I need the help of OT. What would be a good camera for me to start with? I would like one that I will be able to grow with and wont have to replace if I get better so I am willing to spend extra money. I want it to be digital. Most of my shooting would probably be still shots, I dont plan to take any action shots but if the occasion occurs that I could adapt. Also I plan to read the stickies so hopefully that will help me and I may try to enlist this summer or next fall in a photo class at school. Any help, ideas, or suggestions?

2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

No need to jump into a SLR yet, perhaps a Canon S5 or G9. Good all around cameras that have most of the manual settings of a D-SLR so you won't outgrow them.

ibcan'tmakerecommendationwithoutpricerange

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

but if you're getting a G9 or S5, might as well plop down a couple more and get a starter SLR like the XTi or the D40x. Not a bad investment and you can always uprgarde to the better lenses down the road rather than having to buy another camera.

4. REDandBLACKpack

I really dont know how much a camera cost... nor really how much I would be willing to spend. I guess that doenst really help.

5. REDandBLACKpack

Thats what I was thinking, Trying to find a camera that I can upgrade the parts like the lens without having to buy a whole new camra. now how much would one of these set me back

6. Girth

7. Girth

you can get a D40 kit for relatively the same price as a higher end P&S camera. usually, they come w/ 2 decent lenses, a bag, and a couple of other small things. Good way to start and learn.

8. REDandBLACKpack

link :x:

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd:

G9 > *.pointandshoots

10. Girth

11. Spurious

Spurious New Member

What is your budget exactly?

12. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

or buy a used camera. you can find a good shape used xti or d40 with the kit lens for pretty cheap.

13. free_notes

free_notes New Member

i wouldn't make the decision to stick with still shots or action shots yet, you'll want to try everything you can if you're just starting out.

i would recommend taking a film-based photography course. just learning about dark-room developing and printing will improve your understanding of how a camera, your tool, actually works instead of taking a million snapshots and dumping them on a computer. knowing that you only have 36 shots on a roll really makes you think about every photo you take, especially when you know that YOU'RE the one that has to manually develop the film. the more you think about your photography the better it will be.

you can get cheap film bodies and lenses online, probably less than $100 for everything you'd need for an intro course.

if you take any digital photo course, you'll need something that you can control manually, and your instructor will probably recommend a dslr. you really don't need to worry about canon vs. nikon (etc.) since you'll probably want to try both for yourself.