Wanting to get my first pair of raw denim v. APC

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Bloody Sunday, May 2, 2009.

1. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

2. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

I've bought two pairs of APC's from Tobi they have great service and quick turnaround on exchanges.

3. lim f(x) = f(a)

lim f(x) = f(a) New Member

4. Bloody Sunday

5. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

skip apc and get something nicer. I think most people here started with apc, were not happy, and ended up getting something else anyhow.

6. Bloody Sunday

around that same price range?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. kit99bar

http://andewhall.bigcartel.com/ (note it's closed until June 1st)
    price is 199. Look at the details page for why it's nicer.
    You'd probably wear the "Cougar" cut if you wanted the APC Rescue.

Others here prob have a suggestion.
    PS this entire thread should exist in the Denim thread.

8. Bloody Sunday

why are they closed?

9. marvd00d

marvd00d Gonzalez>Swine Flu

I love my apcs

good to start with, if you want to test out the whole never wash my jeans thing

10. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

I'd go with ande whalls as well. it's a one-man job from start to finish. the dude makes some seriously nice jeans, for the bit extra you pay over APCs you're getting a totally superior pair of jeans. no idea why he's closed til june, probably just has to catch up on work or something.

11. frivolous

frivolous OT Supporter

we have the same measurements, it looks like. i have a black pair of APC NS (size 35) that fit me well. ive been wanting to get a pair of indigo NSs but someone told me that the black and indigo vary in sizes or soemthing like that. i'm probably gonna size down to 34, i donno :(

12. wisie

wisie New Member

What do people recomend instead of APC? Was tempted to pick some up but open to others around that price range.

13. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

Im happy with my APC NS and NC. Would buy again.

Blank rear pockets + sick fit = win. Regardless of how much 'better' another pair of jeans is made, its not going to be a substantial enough difference for me to care. I think the differences between APC and Ande Whall are grossly exaggerated; I looked at the 'details' page, and the only difference I see is 'peekaboo selvege' on the 5th pocket and a chainstitched hems. Thats cool and all, i guess, but are there any differences that actually matter?

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  14. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

For your first pair of raw denim look into some Levi's LVC's too, see if you can find any on sale. I don't know much about them but people here seem to really enjoy them.

It all depends on if you're up for it but you should really look into buying not new. A most higher end raw jeans are unsanforized (means the cotton is preshrunk) so they soak like 2-3 inches everywhere and you soak before you start wearing them. The thing is a lot of people mess up sizing and basically soak them then resell them for anywhere from $70-$150 below retail. Great way to get a $285 pair of jeans for $160

15. kit99bar

hmm I am of the opposite opinion. differences off the top of my head:
    • better denim
    • hidden rivets on the back pocket
    • selvage fly
    • selvage belt loops
    • selvage 5th pocket (it's peekaboo because old school levis had the selavage showing by accident and it was copied by Ande)
    • chain stitched hems
    • hand made by an awesome dude
    • A big one: you can choose the inseam length you want. APC defaults to 34 right? could be a problem for the OP's size if he wanted them long enough to stack (a 38 sounds like what he needs)
    Yah a lot of this stuff isn't visible but that's because the details aren't supposed to be flashy. Easily worth the extra 44 dollars.

16. Deckard

Deckard New Member

I haven't had a pair of AWs yet, but I think you might be right on this. Don't get me wrong, I love my APCs (new cures), and they were, and still are, awesome for my second pair of raws, but if I had to pay full price for them, I'd probably have to think about it before buying them again. That having been said, I love mine.

17. kit99bar

I actually didn't mean to write "were not happy with their apcs", I meant to they got obsessed and wanted higher end stuff so you might as well do it right away :big grin:

18. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

the only thing about that list that i could possibly ever seeing myself caring about would be the customizable inseam length. but the APC default 34 happens to be perfect for me, so no care.

the 'hand made by an awesome dude' part might be cool, assuming he is an awesome dude, but only because i would be supporting an awesome dude, not for any other reason. but i dont know him, so thats neither here nor there.

i didnt say anything about the differences being 'visible' or 'flashy'. i pretty much said the opposite of that when I mentioned the awesomeness of APC's being completely blank. what I actually said was that none of the AW features amount to any substantial advantage over APC's imo.

if anything, AW's seem to me to be on par with APC's - both being good jawns for the monies, with only marginal differences that really amount to nothing, and it basically comes down to whether you want an obligatory-but-still-mostly-unheard-of-by-the-general-population GQ status jawn, or a slightly more obscure jawn with back pocket details.

19. Deckard

Deckard New Member

This. Absolutely true. I've banned myself from buying rawz for at least six months because I just bought a pair of TFDBCs, but I can't wait to get something really, really high quality for my next pair.

20. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

APC's aren't bad.. def better than nudies.. but would suggest looking on sufu for flathead F380's in a size 36 though or look for a higher quality pair that has been slightly used. get higher quality for cheaper, plus someone has already put in some work for you.. whether that's just soaking em or barely wearing them. just my two cents.

21. Deckard

Deckard New Member

Honestly, I was never really a Nudie fan, but after wearing these my black-coated Thin Finns over the last few days, they've really started to grow on me. There are obviously a few things about the company and the jeans themselves that I don't particularly like, and I doubt that I'd buy anything else from them, but they're not all that bad...

22. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

I own a number of pairs of high-end raw denim, and I am considering APCs for my next purchase :o

(main reason being I need a beater pair for the long, hot florida summer)