A&P wanting to get into photography.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Junkyard, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

I just bought an Olympus C3020 and am pretty excited to get it next tuesday. It can go full atuo or full manual. I need to get up to speed on the settings and what not. Like paerature, ISO, shutter speed etc. If you guys wouldn't mind helping me out with some terms and settings that would be pretty cool.

I am excited to get some pictures taken, and then post to get some feedback, but help before hand would be great. Like what settings for what light etc. I am a huge amateur and just starting so any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

3. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Well I dont know what you need... but let me give a quick run down.

*Aperture (AKA f-stop)*
    This is how big the opening of your lens is... the bigger the opening, the more light that can enter your camera. The smaller numbers (such as 4.0) will be a larger opening, where as F16 will be a small opening. But, also with a larger opening, the background will be blured... so if you want a portrait with a softbackground (which you see a lot) you may want to try F4.0 or a larger aperture... whereas if you are taking a landscae you want something closer to F16, so you can capture all the detail.

*ISO*
    ISO is usually how sensitive the film is to light, but sense it is digital, it is how sensitive the sensor is... I always call it a theoeretical ISO on a digital camera. The smaller the number (such as iso50 or iso100) the more sensitive the sensor will be to light, fording a larger aperture / longer shutter speed... but if you are in lots of light, you will want a low ISO... the lower the ISO the less grain... always try to shoot as low as possible... but at night you will have to shoot higher a lot of times.

*Shutter Speed*
    Is how quick the shutter opens and closes... this is where a lot of your control will come from... if you are taking a photo of water, and you want it to look soft, you will do a longer shutter speed (1/10 sec) whereas if you want to be able to see every little drop you will want something faster (1/200 or quicker). If you are shooting with anything under 1/30 of a second I suggest you use a tripod... though... the rule for handholding is 1/focal length... focal length is that thing in milimiters, such as zoom... so if you are at 50mm you dont want to hand hold if it is longer than 1/50... but this is just a general rule, depends how steady you are.

My best advice is just to play around with the settings... sit down in your room... be in some kind of light that dosent change, set up a few objects... keep everything the same, except just vary one thing, such as aperture, or shutter speed... and see what it does... to play around with shutter speed you really need a moving object... hands are always fun... or get some friends to move around for you... just have them wave their hands... and see what happens if you take the photo at 1/10 (it looks cool their hand will be blurry) but if you do it at 1/200 it will be pretty sharp.

Hope I helped. IM me on AIM at barnold999 if you want more help.

4. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

You helped greatly. I don't enjoy, or learn from long winded explanations. I think I have the attention span of a 2 year old.

Anyways, I will play around with some settings tonight and post up some pics I grab. Hopefully will go downtown seattle and get some decent pics. Going to Yakima this weekend, so will get some good landscape pics, sunset pics, and a few others hopefully.

Thanks again for the help. I know I wasn't too specific. Aperture, sahutter, and ISO are the main things I was curious about.

Cheers :big grin:

5. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

No prob let me know if you want to know anything else... I will not be mean to you too much.

6. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

Here are a few samples. These are my first pictures. Any critique is welcome. Just hopefully you won't tell me to throw my camera away and never get another one ever again...

I shrank them down considerably. I don't know if that affected the pic by much, but they are down from over a meg to 130-150KB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2003
  7. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

One more I have. Thought this one might look good on a postcard, after a slight chop on the left side for sunglare. Any critique is welcome. Thank you.

[​IMG]

8. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

BY FAR my favorite is the black and white waterfall... that is beautiful... The guy playing the guitar is cool... but it is so dark... really the only way to help that is using a flash... because the background is so bright... so if you have a longer shutter speed (or larger aperture) then the background would be even brighter... Thats probably the best that can be done with that photo... it just is difficult to photgraph something that needs two different exposures. That last photo of Steamers is ok... nothing that exciting though... but KEEP SHOOTING! the more you do the better you get... and remember dont take one photo of each thing, take quite a few... and since it is digital you can delete the bad ones... play with different settings, and also when you have people walking... it is always nice to find the perfect position.