wanting to build home theatre room. what do i get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 02SS, Jul 25, 2003.

1. 02SS

02SS New Member

The room is 15 ft. by 10 ft. I know it's kinda small but it's the only place it can go. So here are my questions.... what size tv would be best? I'd like a flat screen but it doesnt have to be flat panel. I want to do a 6.1 system so which speakers should I go by and what receiver would be good. Also who makes a good progressive scan dvd player? I don't have shit loads of money but am willing to spend what I need to.

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Panasonic makes a good progressive scan DVD player for around $100, but in order to use progressive scan on any DVD, you must have a High Defenition or HD ready tv.

3. 02SS

02SS New Member

Thanks. which HDTV would you suggest?

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

tv

Pioneer Elite Pro-1000HD

Dvd
    Denon DVD2900

receiver
    Denon 4803 or 5803

5. 04

04 Guest

How much is the limit to your budget? And how loud would you want to watch movies?

6. 02SS

02SS New Member

Price for the TV, i'd like to stay under 8K. As for a receiver, under 1300. and for the dvd player, under 800. Are those prices to cheap to get decent material? Sound wise, on a scale of 1 to 10 if 5 was average, about a 7 would be what I want. Price for speakers though, I have no clue.... just throw out some names and i'll look up prices.

7. 04

04 Guest

:eek3: Thats a nice budget....

Anyways, I would probably do one of those really high end DLP 60 inch monitors, would you do DLP? For the speakers, they are really personal preference. Considering your tv budget, I am guessing around 5 to 10 thousand for the speakers? For the sub, I would HIGHLY reccomend getting one of these: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm Assuming your budget is around 8 to 10 thousand. That thing would knock things off walls. I don't know of any other (mass produced) commercial subwoofer that can beat its output. But look into brands such as JMlabs, B&W, PSB, Paradigm and others. You could also look into getting some JBL pro monitor's, those would make pretty nice home theater speakers, considering that the movies might have been mastered using them :)

8. 02SS

02SS New Member

Damn, i never thought shopping for a home theatre would be so difficult. So far, i'm pretty sure i'm gunna go with the Pioneer Elite 50 inch. now on the the other stuff.......

9. 02SS

02SS New Member

Hey, what do you think of the Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver? Just one i came accross that did some stuff i like

10. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I love my Onkyo.

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

fuck, that's not a budget, it's a shopping spree :eek3:

12. DanG

DanG Guest

If the room has good light control (ie, it's dark in there), then get a front projector. A 50 inch screen is small for movies and the box will take a big chunk out of your room. The Panasonic PT-L300U has a great picture for a bit less than $2000.

For the DVD player, you might look at the Pioneer ??-563A which was just recently released. In addition to progressive scan (which most DVDs have now), it also plays both SACD and DVD-A audio discs. Price is a little less than $200.

There are several good receivers. I have and like the Onkyo TXSR800. Denon and Harmon Kardon have similar models that are good. Price should be around $700-1000.

Rocket loudspeakers from AV123.com are a good bang for the buck and work well in a home theater. There are a number of packages but expect to spend around $2000 - 3000.

Finally, SV Subwoofer is a great choice. However the B4 Plus would be overkill for your room. You'd probably do better with the PB-1 ($600).