Wanting to build a computer for the first time....suggestions and advice needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by never_enough, Feb 3, 2006.

1. never_enough

never_enough New Member

Dont know much about this stuff. Computer will be used for email, aim (etc.), music, some games, maya, autocad and such. Im just gonna list the parts and if something isnt compatible or theres a better component in the same price range let me know, it would be much appreciated.

-ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Socket (LGA775) Intel 945P motherboard
    -Intel Pentium 4 541 Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA775 EM64T processor (3.2ghz)
    -Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200RPM 16mb cache SATA 3.0GB/s hard drive
    -G.SKILL 2GB (2x1GB) 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR667(PC2 5400) dual channel kit
    -Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music 7.1 channels 24bit 96KHz PCI interface
    -Sapphire Radeon X800PRO 100600L- 256MB 256bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Expressx16

Thats what I have so far. Any suggestions welcome. Also, what would be a good power supply to get and a pretty good cd/dvd drive. And if theres anything else i left out that i need let me know (other than case and what not) Thanks.

2. Nonphixion

Nonphixion New Member

If you want cheap and easy, get a Pentuim D chip with an intel motherboard, they usually bundle them both together so you save tons of cash.

Make sure the motherboard supports SATA 3gb/s, because it's not the same as SATA150 (the current standard). Either that or buy a different hard drive.

That X-Fi card is going to need to be coupled with some pretty high quality speakers for you to use it to it's potential. I suggest a set of Klipsch 5.1 PC Speakers, they're some of the best on the market.

X800 series of video cards aren't that great if you don't plan to overclock them. So just go with a Nvidia 6800 Ultra, or 7800GT if you have the extra money.

3. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

not a bad setup, i would defenilty consider a dual core processor (AMD) , and i second the 6800 for x600 idea. Antec has solid power supplies and cases. Newgg is your friend

4. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

he should probably throw in a few raptors for the raid 5 array he'll need for all that email he's doing...

Re2162: if all you're going to be doing is "mail, aim (etc.), music, some games, maya, autocad and such", then your setup is way overkill. unless you're playing next generation games, then I would par down your system. I would not have wanted to build my first system with an intel EM64

5. never_enough

never_enough New Member

Thanks for the replies. I will look into getting a better video card. I am probably getting the majority of the stuff from newegg. And Shibboleth, it might be a little much, but when using maya it will help me render faster which is always nice. Plus, I would be playing BF2, HL2, F.E.A.R on there too.

6. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

get a 6800gs. Good video card for the price

7. Peter Jun

Peter Jun New Member

If you're using it mostly for Maya / 3d/ Video Editing/etc... I would recommend you getting The Quadro cards by PNY. They're built especially for workstations and will outperform the gaming cards for Maya, also games dont run that bad either on them. I dont know what your budget is but if you're serious into rendering you should look into the AMD opterons.. Also get the A8N if you want to use the SLI technology in the future, I think theyre about the same price as the P5LD2s

cd/dvd drives plextor is a pretty good brand, i've seen lite-on dvd burners for less than $30 you just gotta search around

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Building a computer is not economical unless you want a hot-shit machine. If you just want a normal computer, buy a Gateway or an HP and save yourself the trouble of figuring out which parts are the best deal for the money. God knows, most of the people in this forum (myself included) will spec you right up the magic beanstalk and into the clouds compared to what you actually need.