Wanting to build a computer and have NO clue where to start.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicklk, Nov 26, 2008.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Any pointers, websites to check out on how to build a computer?

Or would I just be better off buying a prebuilt computer like Dell or whatever.

Currently have an Dell Inspiron 9200 from ~2006 with an only upgrade of 1gb of ram. Still have the 50GB hd :o

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Used to do it on the olden days of 'ye gone past. IDE hard drives and CPU clocking was done with jumpers on the motherboard. Writing the config.sys and autoexec.bat yourself.

I doubt it's much harder now, my main concern would be the BIOS settings, they seem to have many more options with the overclocking and what's not.

I'll do it again when I get the monies, prebuilt PC's seem to have the cheapest parts.

3. thinkhard

thinkhard OT Supporter

for parts http://www.newegg.com

best computer you can build for your price range http://forum.desktopreview.com/showthread.php?t=235512

guide on how to build the pc http://www.mysuperpc.com/build_your_own_computer/pc_parts_list.shtml

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i would avoid overclocking for now. you've got to have a good idea about testing and heat management. save that for later on.

5. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

I'd start with Google, pretty much the ultimate resource. Do searches on topics of interest and go from there. As for what you would be better off doing, it all depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to get it. Are you bright enough to read and follow directions? Are you willing to do all the research needed to make sure you're able to put it together right and get the right parts? If no to any of those questions, just buy a prebuilt and call it a day.

6. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

pre-built machines either suck (cheap parts) or is way overpriced.

try building, it's easy

the hard (but fun) part is researching what parts to buy
    assembling is just like playing with legos
    just read the instruction manuals or use those sites posted above for reference

8. gino85

gino85 fuck your honda civic, i've a horse outside

when u eventually get it finished go over it a few times to make sure u have everything pluged into the right slots, i turned on my new build yesterday and the moniter wouldnt recieve a signal, turned out i was missing 1 connection from the psu to the motherboard lol

only problem im having now is the dvd drive aint being picked up by the mobo