Wanting to branch out of t's and jeans

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Atomicpc, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Atomicpc

Atomicpc New Member

I'm, mostly, a tee shirt and jeans guy. I wear them almost everywhere with my skater shoes. (I don't skate, they are just so freaking comfortable.) There was a death in my family and I had to go out and buy some dress pants and some cheap loafers. I had a black sweaterish shirt I wore. This all got me to thinking that I never dress up at all anymore. I don't really know how anymore. I've been reading a few things on how to dress for overweight males. I could stand to loose 25 pounds. Also I don't have 5000 dollars to start with, but I have a steady income and can get a few things here and there to work my way up. Also I'd rather not start off with a suit, just try to get comfortable in the other clothes first but I'd like a shirt and tie thing heh.

Where can I dress up? Church is a given but what about other places where I'd normally do the tee shirt and jeans? Dinner and a movie?

So hit me with some quality but inexpensive things.

Shoes: Anywhere from 80 to 100 dollars. I'd go 150 if I thought they'd last me for years wearing them a hand full of times a week.

Pants: I'm thinking black because it's slimming. Also the guides said no pleats. I honestly don't know what brands are quality.

Shirts: Black Charcoal Maroon are the ones that I think would go well with black pants. Am I missing any? Dark colors because they are slimming. I did pick up a black button up shirt with vertical lines. The shirt fits okay but the collar seems to high and makes me feel like I don't have a neck. Is this common?

Any help appreciated.

2. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

leave the suit and tie for job interviews :o

3. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

I used to dress exactly how you described and had an epiphany one day and started looking for nicer clothes. You don't need to wear a suit and tie everyday, I would suggest some new jeans (Levi's are my favorites for not being to expensive, rigid 511's and 514's look very nice and the selvedge 514's look awesome), and some lighter solid color button ups along with some darker patterned button up shirts. I also like to wear my wingtip shoes with jeans a lot.

4. epitaphex

epitaphex New Member

get straight leg pants, slimming pants for the wider mannever bootcut unless you're a cowboy.
    dispose of your skate shoes.

5. not-so-subtle thread

not-so-subtle thread New Member

dark shirts are a good way to signal to people you dont know how to dress. stick with base colors of white, light blue, pink, and maybe some light pastels, and go with patterns or stripes that isnt immediately garish to the eyes

dont count on your clothing to give you a slimmer appearance. (if you want to look slimmer, commit to dieting)

pleats are either too formal or out of age. get them on suits, but otherwise wear flat fronts. quality wise there isnt a real difference at your intended price points (extrapolating from shoe price point) but more important is fit--width and length. if you can get something non-iron, great, itll help for a cleaner presentation after a few hours of wearing (esp sitting) .

shoes, theres a real price gap... either spend something sub 100 or 150 and get shoes unintended for longevity or look to 200 and up...especially 300 and up. if you are ready to commit, and you SHOULD, try something from brogueshoes.co.uk. browns are more versatile than black and a darker brown will serve multiple purposes

6. idmcore

idmcore New Member

Collard shirt and sweater can work with nicer jeans in some instances.

I've got a gray, brown, black sweater that i'll wear with tshirts and collars shirts alike.

horrible pic, but you get the idea:
    [​IMG]