Wanting a new stereo for my truck. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, May 26, 2008.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

single DIN. around $200 but $300 max.

I would like one that does MP3s WMAs, etc. With an aux port on the front.

Anything out there that anyone reccomends?

Also I have a Zune and not an ipod.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

premiere, alpine, panasonic.

4. tjamz

tjamz New Member

JVC would be another decent choice, as would Clarion...but I think Clarions AUX inputs are on the rear, not the front.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've always felt that JVC was cheesy looking and very bass heavy.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea i'd stay away from jvc.

7. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Stay away from JVC yet buy Kenwood? You do realize that the two companies merged, right?

IF you decided to do JVC, I'd look at one of the following pieces:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027898&pathId=142&page=1
    [​IMG]

or

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028292&pathId=142&page=1
    [​IMG]

In years past (before the merger of JVC/Kenwood) I would sell far more JVC than Kenwood (we sell JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, Panasonic and Eclipse....dropped Pioneer a couple years back as they were the worst performing of the group...of what I sell, my recommendations go Clarion>JVC>Panasonic>Eclipse>Excelon>Kenwood>Blaupunkt>Pioneer) simply because they never came back for repair....and they tended to have higher voltage preouts. I never ran into the "bass heavy" aspect of them, if anything they seemed a little anemic/nasally in the mid range.

As for cheesy looking...that is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think they are simplistic looking for sure, but extremely user friendly.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno. I only have experience with 1 kenwood, and it's been good to me. I've always seen JVC as pieces of shit -- like blaupunkt. I have had great experiences with pioneer/premiere. I would buy Alpine tho, if I needed a new HU.

People always rave about eclipse, yet I've had two break on me. I found them to be very shitty.

9. twistid

from my 18 years of expirence, talking headunit lines only:

some jvc units are not that bad, most are however... mexicans love them, and pioneer, they make entry level units, for such brands as eclipse.

i've never met a kenwood/excelon, that wasn't a failure in some way... though they are getting better... their units are so light, they feel like alpine's mechless units.

clarion is decent stuff, though ugly... and the older crowd hate them... they seem to be a solid choice... if you can get passed the looks.

pioneer/premiere are solid midline units, with hardly any failures... mexicans and girls love them, and old people hate them.

panasonic units are very solid, and very underappreciated... you really can't go wrong, if you choose one.

equits... very overhyped junk.

blau is a brand with an indentity crisis... some years they are a shit line, some years they try to be legit... they never sit still longer enough to make a niche for themselves.

alpine is pure perfection... great looks, great quality, easy to use, solid units.

sony is horrible in every way.

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I love my kenwood.

Alpine is always a sure bet.

I'll never touch another eclipse unit.

But, the only way to choose a head unit is to go down to an audio shop and play with a bunch and decide what you like. Bring a CD you know well and listen to the same song on different units. This will give you some perspective on what units sound better than others. Dont say "this sounds good" and be done with it. Listen to specific details. And of course, always use the same speakers on the switchboard. Find a balence of features, price, and sound that you like.

Because you used the shop's switchboard, at least give them a chance to sell you the unit. Dont go in with the aditude that you can get the same unit on eGay for half the price, realise that a B&M shop has overhead. I'd gladly pay $20 over crutchfeild for a same unit if it came with everything I need to install it as well (just like crutchfeild). If something goes haywire I'd rather drive 20min than ship and wait 2 weeks. Otherwise, I do all of my unit purchases from crutchfeild.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i didn't know they merged, and apparently, after a quick search and review, kenwood already had some stake in JVC.

Anyways, I don't care for the huge dot matrix lcd in the JVC units, and didn't feel they had as many features for the money, along with my personal dislike of the sound quality. I'm not saying they're horrible units, as i did use one for a year or so and it never had a problem. i just don't like them.

I personally run an Excelon KDC-X679 and it's the only motorized face KW unit i've seen that doesn't have ribbon cable failure. I'll admit that's the biggest downfall of KW units. i don't have any problems with pio/prem units, and haven't dealt with any pana lately. eclipse is a love it or hate it product, and to me alpine sound went to shit in 2004, so i've never fucked with them since. and i was never a fan of trying to get through all the sound menus on alpine.

12. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

unless the head unit automatically equalizes the lower frequency levels then the JVCs can't be "bass" heavy since it just since all the signals like all the other headunits. Only thing that can effect that would be the speakers that reproduce the music, or like i said there is a EQ built into the head unit and it's been adjusted to be more "bass heavy"

13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:ugh:

[​IMG]

14. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :coold:

Isn't there like a wiring adaptor that goes between the connection in your vehicle to the back of the unit? Anywhere online I can pick up one of these for a 98 Tacoma? I am thinking about going with a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ANY audio place will sell that, online or otherwise. It's going to be labeled as a "1987+ Toyota" harness.

16. twistid

and you splice it into the harness that comes with the deck.

17. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:coold: Thanks a lot for the info everyone.