Want to upgrade to Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KatieDSM98, Jan 12, 2004.

1. KatieDSM98

KatieDSM98 Guest

So I've had Windows 2000 for almost 3 years now and I have decided that I want to upgrade to Windows XP Pro. Anything I need to know before doing this? Has anybody done this before? How did it go? I also have Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate and want to make an image of my hardrive before I begin. Just to have as a backup in the event that something goes wrong during the upgrade. Any insight you guys can give me into this would be great!

2. RobMR3

RobMR3 Guest

I just did a clean install of XP Pro. Went pretty quickly. However, I had a boot disk, with fdisk on it. So, I completely wiped my HDD, and started over. Had it done within 4 hours. Don't know if that's how you want to do it. But it was the best option for me.

3. KatieDSM98

KatieDSM98 Guest

I don't want to reformat my hardrive.

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i would definately recommend re-formatting. Especially since you've been running 2k for so long. Just doing an "upgrade" to XP is pretty dirty. Your system will run a hell of a lot better if you wipe your drive

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Damn - beat me to it. If I can't whore Ghost in this forum, I don't know what I'm going to do :wtc:

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I would also insure that your hardware is compatible with XP before doing so.