Want to upgrade to Windows 7. will my programs work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Nov 2, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hey all!

I want to upgrade using the $30 upgrade to Windows 7 w/ my *.edu email addy.

My question is: I am currently running XP. Will my programs (music editing software, Adobe CS2, and others) work with the upgrade?

This is why I 'downgraded' from Vista on this machine to XP. I didn't want to invest more $$ in software for Vista.

Thanks guys! :x:

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

There is no in-place upgrade from XP to 7 so at the very least you'll need to reinstall your programs, if they work with 7 at all.

3. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Another uneducated computer user that gets had by Microsoft twice.

Quit being a cheap fuck and upgrade the shit that doesn't work, or don't upgrade anything at all.

4. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

I dont think that CS2 is compatible (I believe that its CS3 forward). But that being said I have yet to actually run across any programs that are incompatible with windows 7.

The closest that I've come is with my Logitech G15 gaming keyboard. The software used to power the macro keys is xp specific (didnt even work with Vista). That being said when I went to install it, it went something like this..

-Run setup.exe
    -"Error: This program is incompatible with this operating system."
    -Click "Why is this incompatible?"
    -"This program was designed to run under Microsoft Windows XP"
    -Click compatibility mode button that appeared
    -"Installation Successful!"

As far as the program knew (And still knows 2 months later) it is being run on a Windows XP system. Microsoft did a great job in making sure that we wont encounter the same disaster that we had on our hands with Vista...

-SutterKain

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

CS2 will run fine on windows 7

6. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Most, if not all, of your programs should run fine on Windows 7. There is, however, no direct upgrade from XP to 7. You're going to need to format the drive and do a clean install, then install all of your programs individually.

7. Tropic

Tropic The Gladiator Of OT

can you upgrade as a vista user for that much>?

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Yes, for $30 you can get either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Pro. To get a hard copy its like $10-$15 more... It's the Upgrade so it works so long as you have XP or Vista. The only downside is if you have XP it'll do a clean install so you have to reinstall all of your programs, not the case if you currently run Vista.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/

To get the professional version, register as usual but after you get your eligibility email, go to the website and click the link that says "Need to join your school’s network domain? You can also get Windows 7 Professional for $29.99 Click here" on the website. Oddly, when I did it, it only said "Need to join your school’s network domain?", they appear to have made it more obvious now.

9. Johnny Fever

Johnny Fever OT Supporter

I think I got screwed because I bought a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. Naturally, I run Quickbooks Pro 2006 at home and work, and the earliest compatible version of QB that works with it is 2007. Tried checking into setting up an XP VM, and of course, MS won't let you do it with Home Premium. I'm thinking the easiest way to handle this is to get W7 Pro, using the student thing.

Any advice?

10. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

If you get Vista Ultimate, you can virtually run a program in WinXP
    /Thread
    P.S. Don't be cheap.

11. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Thanks for the positive reply!

I appreciate your quality input and informative comments.

However, I would have to believe that being a "cheap fuck" is one of the reasons that caused Microsoft to develop Windows 7 so quickly.

Let's be honest here; Who remembers the amount of people complaining about Vista not being compatible with their current programs? How much business did Microsoft lose to Apple because of this? Is this just because those customers were being "cheap fucks"?

Now Microsoft has come out with a version of Windows that actually embraces the use of older software (according to these other responses) and it seems that it is a huge hit for them so far.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments! I will be doing this upgrade in the near future :bigthumb:

12. Tropic

Seriously man, I appreciate your input. I'm doing it now

13. Tropic

I'm running 32bit, should i go for 64 bit? 3GiG ram

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I've got 4GB in both of my computers. I went ahead and got 64-Bit as there really is no reason to limit yourself with 32-Bit. The only issues I've heard of with the 64-Bit version had to do with IE8 ironically, but I can only assume that would be fixed rather quickly if it hasn't been already.

I haven't upgraded yet, I'm waiting to do it when I upgrade my raid card.

15. Johnny Fever

Johnny Fever OT Supporter

I downloaded it on an old computer and tested it out, and you're right, it made it easy to run programs in XP. I ASSumed that premium would do the same, but noooooo.

Still debatable about the "cheap" business. Vista was so bad I rolled it back, so in my mind, they still owe me for a decent operating system. I think the student discount is going to square things for me.