Want to upgrade my system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trez157, Dec 1, 2002.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I don't have loadsof cash though. Here is what I have right now on my 99 4 door Integra.

2 JL Audio 10W0's
    Rockford Fosgate 500a2
    MB Quart DSD 216 components up front
    and DKC 169 6x9's in back.
    These are all powered by an Audiobahn A4401X amp.
    The deck is a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP

Here is what I want.
    I like the way the setup is but I would like cleaner sound from the speakers. From what I see posted here, Focals would be the way to go. However, I'm assuming I would have to cut a bigger hole since the Focals are 7 in. speakers, right?

Also, I want to upgrade the subs or the amp to get some deeper bass. I was thinking of staying with 10's, because I don't want a huge box in my trunk. What should I do here.

Thanx for any info. I'm not much of an audiophile so sorry if I didn't explain myself well. Also, this setup is for cruising, I don't do competitions or anything, which is probly obvious from my post.
    Thanx for any help.

2. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Two 10" shivas in a ported box should sound very nice. Or maybe even IDQ's. Focals come in 5.25 and 6.5" I think. The polykevlars would be a nice upgrade over those MB Quarts of yours. If you really want clean sound, I would say try to sell all your MB Quarts and just get a set of polykevlars in the front and give them some decent power and it'll sound very good. Rear fill is usually not a good idea unless you really care about people who sit in the back seat.

3. 04

04 Guest

Adire does'nt make a 10" shiva. The only shiva they make is a 12". In fact the only 10" subwoofer driver they make is the Brahma I believe.

Anyways, to the original poster, what dont you like about the MB quarts? Too bright? The crossover on them might have an option to attenuate the tweeters a bit.

Also, depending on the speaker, you could find 12" or possibly even 15" (although unlikely) that would need the same space as your existing 10" woofers. So you don't necessarily have to go with 10" woofers..

4. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

The Xovers do allow for a change, but I just don't feel that the clarity is really there. I don't know how to explain it I guess, but I want better sound overall and everyone with the Focals seems happy.

As for the sub, I wouldn't mind 1 12", I just need something that can hit deep.

5. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

well for one 12, everyone here will tell you to get an ID MAX, probably the v4 version.