want to upgrade my stock stereo system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by interstate, Sep 26, 2003.

1. interstate

interstate New Member

Ive got a stock 97 Subaru Impreza. The stock (minus a new head unit, that im goign to replace anyways) system in my car sounds ok, but I want my system to sound very good with nice bass.. I DONT want too much bass, like in most system with a subwoofer.. I jsut want it to sound clear and good.

I dont know very much about car stereo, and I dont know waht to buy. I figure Ill have to replace the 4 6.5 speakers (1 in each door)

Im afraid if I replace the speakers, it wont make very much of a difference.. do
    I need any other components?

Any system setup suggestions?

2. 04

04 Guest

So you do, or you don't want a subwoofer?

What is your price range?

3. interstate

interstate New Member

Price isnt much of a concern, but keep it reasonable..

I dont know if I want a sub.. If I can get the sound I want with speakers, then I wont need a sub... I jsut dont know much about car stereo.. :sad2:

4. 04

04 Guest

Well I will say this, just having speakers in your doors will make it very difficult to get a good bass response in a car. I really suggest a subwoofer, a 10" woofer in a small sealed box should work fine.

If you do want to go with a sub, how much space would you be willing to allocate for the enclosure?

As for the speakers, I would also suggest you just upgrade your front speakers and don't even use rear speakers, it will save you money, and in my opinion give you better sound.

I would reccomend the Adire Koda component set, here's a link: http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/components/components.htm

And for the amplifier, something like this would work: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX4085

5. interstate

interstate New Member

If I went with just speakers, would I need an amplifier?

When I turn up the volume I get some distortion, and I would like my sound to be as clear as possible..

If I did get an amp, which kind should I get to possible add a sub later on?

thanks for the help!

6. 04

04 Guest

Well if you want it as loud and clean as possible, you are going to want an external amplifier. You are also going to want to buy a subwoofer, or when you crank it up, your speakers are going to give and sound bad.

That amp I listed would work fine, and you could upgrade to a subwoofer with it later.